Baxi Solo RS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me...

I have a Baxi Solo RS boiler which is 12 years old.

It is set to come on at 5:30am thermostat set at 20, this morning the heating didn't come on. The pilot light is lit yet isn't firing up when I turn the thermostat up. After I had a shower the pilot light fired up and I could feel some heat in the radiators.

I've just come home from work and again - no heating. Put the hot water onto constant and again the pilot light fired up. There is some heat coming through to the radiators yet if i feel the bottom off them they are not as hot as the top? I presume the water is now heated as its not firing up anymore and I presume my radiators will now go off even though it is freezing....

Sorry for my ignorance but I really have no clue when it comes to things like this... any advice would be greatly appreciated, but please give it in layman terms as I really have no clue!

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Hi Sarah,

It does not sound like there is anything major wrong. Difficult to diagnose without further info. I suspect there is a problem with a Heating valve. As you have said you have hot water so there is nothing wrong with the boiler.

Have a look at the FAQ section 10 and 17.

Need to know how many zone valves you have. Have a read, have a look and then post again

Hope this helps

I really do sound stupid ... but when I look at the FAQ..they only seem to go from 1 to 9!

HELP!

;)

Hi there,

no nened to feel stupid easy mistake to make.
In the first post in the faq from the moderator there is a link to click.

This gives all the faqs

Rico

Sponsored Links
I don't seem to have air in taps...just checked..hope thats what u meant :LOL: .....

Errr.. I don't even know what a zone valve is let alone what to look for? How do I find out how many I have?

Sorry :confused: and thanks!

The motorised valves will likely be in the airing cupboard, next to hot water tank. You will either have one with 3 pipes connected or two valves each with 2 pipes connected.

Found it!! Thanks you're all very patient :)

I can only see one, it has a lever on it saying max and auto its pointing to auto (its a Honeywell one)... 3 pipes come out from it, 1 of the pipes has 2 red valves...

:) I'm v proud of myself! ha! But I'm bloomin freezing!

Move the lever across to man (Manual not max! :LOL: ), and lock it in the little indent. That should get you some heating going! Then come back if you need further advice!

Edit, you may need to turn the thermostat up on the hot water tank too.

I have done this.... it seemed a little flimsy..didn't feel like it registered that i had moved it? Heating hasn't kicked in yet...should it do this instantly?

Should be some resistance and the valve will make a slight whirring noise as you move it across, then after a few seconds boiler and pump should start. It seems the problem may lie with the valve from what you've said so far.

Water should be at 60 C anyway, to prevent Legionella bacteria forming. By moving the valve to manual you are overriding the operation of the valve. IIRC the roomstat will no longer control anything now, the boiler will take its cue to fire from the cylinder thermostat (hot water tank). If this is satisfied, (i.e. hot water up to temperature), then the boiler wont fire.

ok...i turned it to 60 and it made a noise :LOL: ...

Now, am I right in thinking once the water reaches that temp it will go off again :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back