Baxi Solo RS

Sponsored Links
That should get you some heating but it will need repairing. Call some friends and ask them for reliable heating engineers. Yours is a very simple job of replacing the head of the honeywell 3 port valve.

Moving it to manual will open the valve and all the time the hot water cylinder is being heated then your rads should get hot.

Hugh recommended turning up the HW temp on the cylinder stat as this will keep the boiler on for longer as its trying to heat the HW to a higher temperature. Ultimately the boiler thermostat will control the overall temperature.

Make a note of the setting of the Cylinder stat so you can turn it back later.

Thanks guys..

You've been really helpful and patient with me :)

I think its the valve thats knakered..I've called Home Emergency out but they can't get here til Sat. At least I've got some heat until then, I don't want frost bite :)

I'll leave it set to manual until they come out.... is it wise to turn that thermostat on the boiler any higher to keep it fired up?

Thanks again

Yes, but it should take a while if you have managed to wedge the valve open. The flow from the boiler will also be going around the radiators, and so the tank will take a bit longer to heat up.

If you want to check, then look at the valve as a T. The vertical pipe is the input from the boiler, and then outputs left and right go to HW tank and rads respectively. You should be able to follow the output from the valve to cylinder, the other goes to the rads. If both are heating up then you've got some heating until the problem can be sorted as Mr Smyth has explained.

Glad we could be of some use, nice to be able to at least get you some heating going again, even if as a temporary fix.

Sponsored Links
Honestly, you don't realise how much you taking your boiler for granted! :)

I've put it to 65, radiators are already hot! Can't tell you how grateful I am! You all must be so busy at this time of year so I really do appreciate your time :) :)

Thanks again

Regards

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back