Baxi Solo WM 40/4RS Pilot light won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Hoping you can help.

The pilot light won't stay lit, as soon as the button is released it goes out. I've tried a new thermocouple but it makes no difference - i've ensured it's fully in the flame.
The overheat switch has been bypassed at some point as the button is no longer there and just a link wire where the thermocouple would normally connect to it - so it's not that ;)
Bolier had a new gas valve about 3 years ago, would seem a bit premature for that to go again? Any thing else I can check before calling a plumber out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Couple of questions .
Does it have the blue loop wire just wher t/couple goes in ,

Proper t/couple required for these so hope universal not used

Yes, that's correct.
The thermocouple went about 6 months ago and i used a universal one for a few days until i could get a 'proper' one.
I kept the universal one (which was working fine) just in case, tried it just now but no joy

Fart about with the blue loop and the connector part that sits below where t/couple screws into you will see a little wire that the t/couple tightens down onto to make the connection. Aso make sure spade connections are tight

Sponsored Links
Fixed it!
I'd had a mess round with the connector plate when I changed the T.C but this time I removed it completely and moved the wire about that conects to it. Will have to change the wire if it does it again
Seems to have done the job - Thank you :D

Hi Guys, Hoping you can help.

The overheat switch has been bypassed at some point as the button is no longer there and just a link wire where the thermocouple would normally connect to it - so it's not that ;)

Thanks

So you now have the boiler working but with the overheat device bypassed.

I am surprised that some experienced gas people on here have assisted you to get it going again when its classed as At Risk.

Thats inappropriate advice in my view. But then I suppose I am one of those cautious people who does boiler repairs safely and likes everything to be safe and secure and to drive within the speed limits.

But then I never had the opportunity to learn how to bodge boiler repairs at British gas.

Tony

Agile if you knew what you where talking about instead of just guessing you would know that a kit came with this boiler to bypass the overheat stat when the boiler was used on gravity to avoid nuisance lock out when on high. Many boilers have that ie the potterton profile etc.

So before you open your mouth educate yourself numpty :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guess that is the difference from us with proper qualifications and self taught like yourself , i pity all those trainees you have :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How can you be sure what type of system the OP has unless you are guessing?

Tony

I'm no expert here, I was curious that he knew what colour the bypass wire was & presumed from this he knew the setup very well.
I've had the boiler serviced when the gas valve was replaced, I would hope if there was anything untoward it would have been picked up then but in anycase your perfectly correct to be cautious if you don't have specific information on this type of boiler.
Yes the boiler is on a gravity feed btw.

Agile remind me again .
What was it you missed getting the opportunity to learn.

Bodge repairs from BG or the oppurtunity to learn the basics about boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back