Baxi WM38 3RS - pilot light not staying on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My boiler above recently got serviced and thermocouple replaced. Now the pilot light has gone out. When I press the square (green?) button and fire the ignition, there is a light on the pilot but it wont hold and goes out when I release the green button. I will mention that the gas was off in the street for a day due to pipe replacement works so not sure if that has had any impact.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime, until I get someone to come and fix it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you holding the button in for 30 seconds and then releasing it gently?

If so then get the servicer back!

Tony

Just make sure you are pressing and holding the green gas valve button completely down and once the pilot is lit hold it there for minimum 30 secs.
If that fails then you will need to get your man back.

It is possible that there is air in the gas pipework, which needs purging, if you have a gas cooker with automatic ignition, try turning on one of the top oven rings and see if it ignites. If it does, have several attempts to light the pilot on the boiler. If still no luck get expert help.

Sponsored Links
I'm just back up from the cellar - I've pressed and 'shoogled' the green gas valve button and held it for 30 seconds and it has managed to fire ok. Radiators are nice and warm now. Unfortunately, I dont have a gas cooker!

I had contacted my servicer but because I originally got him through ratedpeople.co.uk - I got a message from ratedpeople stating that I couldnt contact tradesmen direct!!

The other problem being - my flat is being sold in 16 days time and I'm concerned the boiler may have this problem again - should I fix the gas valve or see how it goes for the next few days and hope for the best.

Many thanks for all your help.

It seems unlikely you still have any problems.

If you must use a site like rated people ( and I dont encourage people to use dutch auction sites to get second class tradesmen at the lowest price ) then at least when he comes if you like him then take his card.

Its surprising that he did not shower you with his cards!

Tony

The servicer in question has a day job with Scottish Gas and he does the ratedpeeps stuff in the evenings and weekends. Unfortunately he didnt give me a business card but he did say that it is often difficult trying to fit in the additional work on top of his day job.

No wonder he can undercut the genuine guys working during the day to make their living when its his moonlighting job!

He may not even be gas registered to do that work and is probably not insured either. That might explain why he does not pass on his cards!

Next you will probably say he was not of obviously British birth!

My car was hit at the back by a Transco van and while he was getting his G-S card to identify himself he dropped some of his moonlighting cards!

Tony

Agile you dont half talk some sh#te.
Are you forgetting about working yourself while not properly registered or currently ACS qualified .
At least the scottish gas guy and the transco blokes will have done a proper apprenticeshipS and are not self taught telle ariel repairmen like yourself.

Sorry for hijacking Fi ...

Agile";p="2136420 said:
No wonder he can undercut the genuine guys working during the day to make their living when its his moonlighting job!

He may not even be gas registered to do that work and is probably not insured either. That might explain why he does not pass on his cards!
Agile";p="2136420 said:
I was going to press the thanks button, but hen read the rest. Back to normal nonsense:

Next you will probably say he was not of obviously British birth!

My car was hit at the back by a Transco van and while he was getting his G-S card to identify himself he dropped some of his moonlighting cards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back