Baxi WM512RS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a diagnosis of a blocked injector by a couple of your professionals, I booked a service with a local 'corgi registered' "engineer".Having taken all the front plate screws off and disconnected the piezo,pilot and thermocouple connections, he tells me that he cant take the thing apart to get to the burner/injector. having put it all back together, he suggested that I live with the problem until I can afford a new boiler and charged me £75+vat fot this great advice. Do you think this is reasonable.

Sponsored Links
First thing that comes to mind is, did you check his CORGI card? Did he give you a receipt? How frequently is the boiler serviced (by that I do not mean a 15 minute operational check)

There indeed are instances where a boiler has not been touched for a long time, during which the screws sieze and will not come out.

Only thing I disagree on with you repairpersion is when he tries to sell you a new boiler. I would be looking to replace the pilot burner assembly if it does not come out.

DP . In answer to your questions, he came from a supposedly reputable local firm with all necessary qualifications. Yes he gave me a receipt. Having moved into the house in December last year, I believe it was serviced about 2 years ago. A simple phone call to the very helpful people at Baxi revealed that the burner/injector assembly comes out with the front plate complete. To get this out, the main gas union and electrical connector have to be disconnected. He obviously did not know this.

the job would take about 1hr to strip and clean this make boiler,including testing.one of the best to work on so get him back

Sponsored Links
I've complained to the company and stopped the cheque. Am now awaiting developments. It's things like this that persuade people to do it themselves

harv54, please do not tar all RGIs with the same brush.

I carry out all repairs with client present and looking over my sholder. I encourage it as the client gets to see what has been done (should things fail at a later stage).

There is no reason why you could not have done the work yourself as long as the boiler belonged to you. But do be aware, your house insurer's would think otherwise.

Just because you can get an answer to your problems from a forum such as this, does not mean boiler repairing is a piece of cake. Just about all my work is to do with boiler repairs, I carry out this task every day, and even I strugle sometimes. Can you with hand on heart, say that you could have repaired your boiler without assistance or know why the boiler was failing?

DP
Of course I appreciate the advice given by yourselves on this forum. I just wish the engineer involved had simply said, sorry I don't know how to take this apart. I would respect him for that. I wouldnt expect to be charged £88 for this however. Once again , thanks for the help you've all given on several occasions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back