Bay Window fitted by Zenith Staybrite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a long fight with this supplier, we had to pay for windows we didnt order, that were faulty and installed badly. We decided to try to fix or at least improve the installation ourselves and pulled some of the trim off the bay window. To our horror we found that the bay poles were short, in fact in one place it was so short, it wasnt even there.

Can anyone tell me, how important these poles are and how they should be fitted.

We have a fensa certificate for this work, and they have refused to show any interest in our installation problems, so please dont suggest contacting them as they appear to be totally useless.

Thanks for hearing my moan, if nothing else comes of this hopefully I can save anyone else from using Zenith.

Sponsored Links
If you have a flat roof above with just lead on then the windows will quite happily hold the little bit of weight there is.

If its a 1930's semi with brickwork and another bay above then i'd be a little worried, a lot of weight in those two on top of your downstairs bay.

another example of FENSA's uselessness... really what ARE they concerned with?
Compliance with the building regulations approved document part A Structure means that the bay poles should be in. They could argue that th bay strength was not "made worse", but assuming you had wooden windows in before then i believe them to be stronger (unless rotten) than unreinforced upvc (in general, obviously structural sections vary).

this is from their website - "This means all replacement windows and doors must comply with Approved Documents N (Safety Glazing) and L (Thermal Insulation). Other elements of the Building Regulations A (Structure), F (Ventilation), B (Means of escape), J (Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems), M (Access) must not be made worse by the replacement installation."

Can anyone tell me, how important these poles are and how they should be fitted.
Pretty important as they hold up the lintel supporting the roof or wall above the bay.. get some acro props in there if poss.. maybe some photos

Sponsored Links
This is a very common misconception on this Forum, Fensa are concerned with the windows compliance with regards to PART L and C. Anything else and people are living in a dreamworld. If people bothered to educate themselves with a little research beforehand ..............

I do agree though, before you have a go, that Fensa are a waste of space.

Just pi**es me off seeing the amount of times that a Fensa installer is recommended on here.

This is a very common misconception on this Forum, Fensa are concerned with the windows compliance with regards to PART L and C. Anything else and people are living in a dreamworld. If people bothered to educate themselves with a little research beforehand ..............

I do agree though, before you have a go, that Fensa are a waste of space.

Just pi**es me off seeing the amount of times that a Fensa installer is recommended on here.

well according to the regs and their website there are other approved documents to be satisfied including document A for structure.
my point was that they happily overlook draughts/leaks because that is "a workmanship issue" but they do claim to ensure conformance with specific building regs.

their website is highly misleading also, for example first testimonial - "'Brilliant.... Excellent workmanship and installation.. took away all old windows and rubbish... price very good and customer service first rate. I recommend to anyone.' "
this implies that the sweeping up and economical price of the installer was somehow connected with their FENSA membership. not a lie but misleading none the less.

we are in agreement by the way if it's not obvious...

I agree, we are fensa reg but it seems most can apply and will get accepted. They will only generally check escape hinges have been fitted, clear openings for fire escape and tough glass in the right places. We are in the process of applying for dgcos which seems a much better scheme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back