Bay window permitted development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for this project. I'm looking for some advice. I'm confident(?) that the garage being less than half the house width and less than 4m high will be OK, but I'm not so sure about the proposed bay window where the existing garage door is to be infilled. Would a bay window with brick base need planning? What if it was a bay window without a base? Could I have just the window with a canopy over? Or being the principal building line, can this only be a flat window?

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 402
Sponsored Links
If any part of the window projects - whether supported by a wall or not - it would need planning permission. The rules describe it as an 'enlargement' rather than an extension, and any enlargement forward of the front wall needs P.P.

If one really wanted to be pedantic they might argue the red bit on this image was a projection beyond the front wall.

PEDANTIC.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well I was being pedantic.

Tony, do you think it could also fall foul of the 'extending beyond a roof face on a principal elevation' rule?

Wouldn't that only apply to a (Part B) roof enlargement - specifically a dormer on the front?

With regard to projecting eaves - they don't take them into account when allowing 3m/4m extensions on the back, so by extension (no pun intended) I wouldn't have thought projecting eaves on the front would be caught out?

With regard to the OPs proposed bay; if it was mine I'd just build it and not worry the council about it. As long as Building Control is sorted, it's not going to be a big issue. What I wouldn't do is apply for a LDC - they won't give one so it would be a waste of time and money. Either build it and keep schtum, or apply for planning permission.

Thanks All. Based on what I've read here, I am going to get rid og the bay and just have a window. Regarding the 'triangle'. I am going to hope they allow it under LDC. I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks

Wouldn't that only apply to a (Part B) roof enlargement - specifically a dormer on the front?

With regard to projecting eaves - they don't take them into account when allowing 3m/4m extensions on the back, so by extension (no pun intended) I wouldn't have thought projecting eaves on the front would be caught out?

With regard to the OPs proposed bay; if it was mine I'd just build it and not worry the council about it. As long as Building Control is sorted, it's not going to be a big issue. What I wouldn't do is apply for a LDC - they won't give one so it would be a waste of time and money. Either build it and keep schtum, or apply for planning permission.
I would ignore this comment, if you use local authority building control. I can't speak for every LA, but some of them work very closely with planning enforcement, we used to hot desk with them, so most days I ended up sat less than a few feet away from an enforcement officer.

Thanks All. Based on what I've read here, I am going to get rid og the bay and just have a window.

I think the bay window will help to soften that rather stark front gable. Unless there are some special local circumstances I would be surprised if a planning application was not successful. (although the roof to the bay needs some work as it is rather top heavy)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back