**bay window slipped cracked since Double glazing window **

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Thanks for looking...cowboy builder replaced my double glazing window a year ago, since then the 1st floor and ground floor windows have stopped closing a cracks appeared in one corner of the 1st floor bay window...builders long gone

To top it off the owner of the flat above has just told me the floor area just around the 1st floor bay window has risen by an inch the remaining floor in the room is fine, find this strange my 1st thought would have been the floor around the bay window would have dropped with the bay..also the windows on the ground floor seems to be bowing in the middle ive attached a pic

suspect the bay window load bearing posts arent up to the job, Does the below sound like a plan.

The bay window seems to be single brick, and the floor joints run into the the bay window.

1) Support the window with strongboys acrow props.

2)remove the middle section of the bay window

3) jack up the original bay window wooden lintel using 2 bottle jacks.

4) Fit a decent set of bay window load bearing corner post...someones suggested using scaffold posts cut to size welded with a base plate to spread the load.

Any Advice would be great.

Thanks Again

hi sorry finding it hard to add pic ive got them in my album

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Could do with some more larger pics.

Pull off one of the corner post caps from the out side. At the top you should be able to see if it has a good baring on something solid.
Also check the bottom, With a bay on top of a bay there should ideally be bay jacks fitted (a large screw type attachment that can be wound up) at the bottom and drilled through the PVC cill.

Take some pics and post them here while you have the caps off.

newbie29, Hi

Managed to access your photos [click on your name, that opens your "home page" - in here only! that allows access to the pics]

From the photos, it appears that your "Cowboy" has removed the original corner [probably steel round or square] STRUCTURAL load bearing posts? this to "elbow in" the "new" windows.

Problem is that all the load of the outer wall structure is now being [precariously] supported by the window ? ? ? Obviously a window will not have the same load bearing capacity as a steel post [whatever its shape]

I wonder if your neighbours floor problem is that the outer wall [where the load is" has dropped, and the floor appears to have risen because the floor joists are acting as "Cantilevers?"

I for one would seek advise from a QUALIFIED STRUCTURAL ENGINEER!" Put simply I do not like what I have seen on your photos?

Even comparing the overall dimensions [as seen] on the Photos between the width of your windows mullions and that of your neighbour above, it is plainly obvious that your windows are far narrower than the ones above?

I would be contacting Trading Standards to have a "CHAT" because the repairs could possibly cost a lot of money, sorry to say but there is a possibility that the repair will not be a DIY "FIX?"

Ken

Ok try this google pvc baywindow disasters in 2013 and the 5th option down is baywindows and their problems-expertexpert. I hope you get that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back