Bay window tiling and porch flat roof to pitched roof conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to redo these tiles on the front of my house as they are a mess and it's very cold and mouldy inside that bedroom.
Here's some pics:

How would you go about it? I'd like to convert the porch roof to a pitched roof at the same time and tie both in together. Is this easily done? Any ideas would be great

Sponsored Links
I think you'll need a roofer if you want to tie both in together though. The tiles on the front will be hanging off of battens, so there'll be little scope to insulate from the outside, so you'll need insulated plasterboard on the inside of the bay. I take it that you've got adequate insulation in the roof.

The actual house roof has plenty of loft insulation in it if that's what you mean.

It's it not something I could do myself, I'm pretty confident with all diy.

If you've got good loft insulation, then the colds coming from the single skin bay window, and nothing to do with the tiles outside. Now it's possible that the battens could be increased, and celotex put between the battens before the tiles go back on. If you're good with diy, but weren't planning on the porch, then the tiles should be well within your capability. You'd need to hire some small scaffolding for the job, but it's not a tricky job at all.

Sponsored Links
I suppose the only way to find out what's behind there is to pull a few tiles off and have alook. I've seen some pics online of what others have done and they have managed to fit the celotex in between the original wood.

The existing laths will likely be unsuitable for new tiles. You would remove the laths, remove the felt, insulate and then fit a membrane, then lath and tile.

The porch roof idea will need more thought as that frame is inlikely to have the required strength to support a roof load.

Ok thanks, the actual bay window tiling sounds easy enough. When fitting the celotex insulation in does it need to be literally squashed in or should there be some sort of air gap?

Also you say the porch frame might not be strong enough, which frame do you mean? The wood around the top of the windows?

I think he means the whole porch; it would never have been designed to take much more than it's initial roof.

By the time you've put up the rafters, and then added the tiles, it'll possibly be more than that window frame can handle.

Ok so how would a normally designed pitched roof porch be? With brick pillars to support the roof?

Pretty much, the window would have been smaller, and the brick pier/corners would the support the wall plate for the rafters and the roof joists.

Ahh really? Surely a pitched roof doesn't weigh that much more than the flat?

A flat roof is not trying to push the frame outwards. Nor is the wind trying to move a flat roof as much as a pitched roof.

But yes, a tiled roof weighs a lot more than a flat roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back