Flat roof to pitched ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a flat roof on the garage and looking to convert it to a insulated storage room (make it double brick) and would like add a pitched roof ontop of the garage, just trying to get ideas for a roof shape as its hard to imagine if joining at a valley (front apex). Ideally would like the roof to run the same way as the bungalows main roof (drawing attached, well a bad one). Can be a low pitched roof, but would like the roof still to have Marley Ludlow tiles which i think is a min pitch of 22.5.

the image attached of the valley is from the front of the house.

thanks and any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240129_132248.jpg
    20240129_132248.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240304_155505.jpg
    20240304_155505.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Because the room is only 1.85m in height so thought that if I need to raise the roof then may as well avoid a flat roof

You'll struggle with that from a practical/technical and visual aspect.

I'd suggest you extend the main roof sideways to create a gable on the side of the garage - looks like it may be 3/4 of the garage length, and then keep the flat roof at the front 1/4 or so.

Lift the door frame head up to align with the window frame, that will lift the roof/ceiling height.

Careful detailing of the flat roof edge to avoid a horrible deep fascia.

Sponsored Links
hi yes its a tough one from a visual aspect point.

Thanks for the suggestion, that seems like a good idea from keeping the front 2 meters flat and then starting the roof inline with the existing roof (but lower ridge height as permitted development seems to state it requires the roofline to be lower.

also my only other idea I had was to make the roof like the (image attached) and do a join where the existing house gutter meets the garage roofs gutter, do you think that would look no so great from a visual aspect either? also i assume this would mean putting in a gutter to join the two roofs

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 14

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back