BBC Cowboy Trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone seen the latests BBC Builders Trap? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mrbhl/Cowboy_Trap_Series_1_Episode_5/

Mr '20 years experience' tells us ply shouldn't be used under tiles and that no money should ever be paid up front (not even for materials?). Then he lays a thin laminate floor in an outdoor summer house (not the best idea given the potential for moisture).

Ok so the ply they lifted was really thin but what were they expecting for a £16000 4-room extension incl kitchen and bathroom!

Sponsored Links
Mr 20 yrs experience is not a tiler and therefore should not be telling people what should and should not be used on a subtrate.

Looks like he may be a cowboy falling into his own trap lol

I've caught a few of these programmes, and they seem to copy a genre of a Canadian program/American similar, there is a load of waffle, lots of backfill repeat, there is loads of waffle, lots of backfill repeat (!), then they threaten the origional installer, but do nothing, (Oh I was on my knees, I had no money, I called the creditors in), same old, then the TV programme budget pays for a half-shod attempt at a repair. MDF abounds, quick fix facory built units. Cheap TV.

I love the catchphrase 'We know what you did, now everyone else does, and NOW the trading standards WILL. Beware'...

What an idiot. That Dom Littlewood, and Matt Allright annoy excessively too, especially Anne Robinson, they believe they have more clout than they actually do, throw it about, but ask the wrong questions aimed at the wrong people. ARGH THE BBC!!!!!!!!!

I've caught a few of these programmes, and they seem to copy a genre of a Canadian program/American similar, there is a load of waffle, lots of backfill repeat, there is loads of waffle, lots of backfill repeat (!), then they threaten the origional installer, but do nothing, (Oh I was on my knees, I had no money, I called the creditors in), same old, then the TV programme budget pays for a half-shod attempt at a repair. MDF abounds, quick fix facory built units. Cheap TV.

I love the catchphrase 'We know what you did, now everyone else does, and NOW the trading standards WILL. Beware'...

What an idiot. That Dom Littlewood, and Matt Allright annoy excessively too, especially Anne Robinson, they believe they have more clout than they actually do, throw it about, but ask the wrong questions aimed at the wrong people. ARGH THE BBC!!!!!!!!!

Do you think that having you business shown on there is detrimental? Surely the power of the medium (i.e. television) would be the 'clout'?

Sponsored Links
had an arsehole who used my local plumb center who was shown on rogue traders.

He is still trading and in fact reckoned he got busier after the initial furfore when people remember his company name but could not remember why.

he has about 9 vans now compared to 4 before the show.

so I think there may be something in his boasts. and these shows don't actually do anything to improve service levels etc to the general public

he is still a tit though.

:)

The person in question changes their company name that often, and that not enough people would necessarily watch the programme, ie at work, or not into watching Watchdog type programs, then I don't think that these 'horror' stories make a jot of difference, and as money talks, and they are often the cheapest option, job done. Badly!

I think the BBC are spreading themselves too thinly with the crimewatch program now too,

When it first came out, loads tuned in, but now it's on in the morning, it's flooding the airwaves, and people just won't bother. If it's new and refreshing, and different, yes, but now....too much stuff covering old ground, that Cowboy builder program looks almost like Beat the Baliff vs 60 minute makeover...et al.

I've often wondered about the rebound effect. For example, after the Zeebrugge ferry disaster (1987?), a lot of people would have felt, like me, that this would be the safest time to use a car ferry since the operators would be being exceptionally safe and careful in their work and hold no complacency.

In a similar way, would it not be the case that having been on roguetraders or similar, people would tend to think that the trader would have tidied up their act considerably and therefore be a model of good practice and reasonable pricing?

you mean a person who shows every evidence of being an ignorant, incompetent, half-wit is capable of being skilled and knowledgable when he's on his best behaviour?

you mean a person who shows every evidence of being an ignorant, incompetent, half-wit is capable of being skilled and knowledgable when he's on his best behaviour?
It's worked for me for 20 years ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hi
:D
Been a lurker for some time, but this tread has made me want to comment...

Watched a program which involved an extension (i think) anyway she had a couple of doberman dogs sat all over her nice leather suite, if that jogs your memory?

my point is they changed her boiler that was condemned, praising themselves about how the 'good guys' had now done the job properly, but as far as i could tell, no flush of the old system had been carried out, he seems to itemise every nail and screw they do for the victims, so on summing up why no mention of a flush? could it be that it was not 'important' enough to mention?....i think not![/list]

I do find these kind of car crash programmes rather annoying.

Aunty Beeb wants us to think that they really give a toss about someone that used a "tradesman" that they found in the yellow pages.

By the same token the BBC and ITV are both responsible for the likes of the Changing Rooms cowboys and 60 Minute Makeover culture.

If they really wanted to inform and protect punters they would have proper "DIY" programs with real tradesman and realistic time scales and budgets. Won't happen though- not exciting enough.

The producers don't care a jot about accuracy- they just want to pander to our MTV 15 second attention span. Anyone remember the "With A Little Help from My Friends" episode where Jordan rebuilt a swimming pool for disabled kids. The fire brigade turned up to fill the pool, "5 minutes later" the kids were in the water swimming....

For all their faults at least the American have "this old house" .

I'm considering writing to the BBC to complain about the one I caught earlier (on home or living I think it was).

Where the presenter was suggesting you need to check a kitchen fitters gas safe registration/qualifications to plumb in a sink :eek:

The problem is now customers will ask to see this, even though its irrelevent!

Just like the one the other week, where the 'expert' said it would cost £60 to supply and fit an outside light (including cabling) and changing a single socket to a double :LOL:[/b]

Sponsored Links
Back