BBC Green button stopped working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Normally, when I switch to a BBC channel on the TV, an icon pops up after a few second to press the green remote button, to restart the current program from the beginning. The icon has stopped appearing and the green button no longer does anything. Is this something to do with the present TV chaos following the death of HM, or something else?

Sponsored Links
On my tv it’s always been the red button and still is .

Thanks. It stopping working, coincided with a firmware update, so maybe that is the problem. BBCi itself works, just the restart the current BBC program has stopped showing up.

Sponsored Links
On my tv it’s always been the red button and still is .

Out of curiosity, I have just tried the red button and that works now. A panel pops up on the right of the screen, offering to restart the current program, watch more on iPlayer, or listen more on sounds. Before, there was a delay after switching to a BBC channel, then a green blob in the top right saying press green to restart.

I can throw some light on this after complaining to BBC iPlayer directly.
The green button on my Samsung remote control stopped working around the date of the Queen's demise.
It has never been that great, often getting several "not available" before actually working.
I think a lot of it is to do with the TV running out of memory and needing a hard, power off, restart.
This time, nothing worked.
I could get a restart of the current programme by going to the BBC iPlayer app on the TV home page and navigating to the channel number and restarting there.
I was astonished when I got the reply from the iPlayer support people.
Apparently, in their words, they switch to a special working mode in respect of the audience.
This disables parts of their service and I can only assume that a state funeral is one such event that triggers this mode.
They added that it was a temporary measure but could not say when it would be restored.
Firstly, I have to wonder why something as trivial as the green button shortcut has to be disabled in respect of my or anyone else's feelings or whatever, especially as the restart was available albeit not so conveniently.
This is either a bury bad news day, or state tinkering with the state broadcaster.
As it was, we, the audience, had to sit though wall to wall coverage of the event, enter a state of national mourning and so on.
I had read somewhere that their streaming services had been overwhelmed by requests and turning off the green button was an attempt to put a dampener on it.
I still haven't bothered to check if the green button functionality has been restored, but it just goes to show how far the BBC is prepared to go to manipulate the programming content.
I suspect this is what we might expect if someone like Putin decides to up the ante and starts getting close to letting loose some nuclear warheads.
Putin I can understand, but for a funeral and for 10 days or more?
BBC, treat your audience with a bit more respect.

I still haven't bothered to check if the green button functionality has been restored, but it just goes to show how far the BBC is prepared to go to manipulate the programming content.
I suspect this is what we might expect if someone like Putin decides to up the ante and starts getting close to letting loose some nuclear warheads.
Putin I can understand, but for a funeral and for 10 days or more?

I wasn;t sure what had happened, as the green button failure coincided with both a firmware update from LG and the funeral. Just as soon as someone suggested trying the red button, I found it worked, but rather differently to how the red button had worked. Instead of going straight to Restart, the red button goes to a mini- menu on the right of the screen, offering several Iplayer programs, Restart, Watch more on iPlayer and Listen on Sounds. The green button now does nothing at all. During the funeral, it offered various things at the top, to do with HMQ.

So for me, it didn't seem to stop working for 10 days, I was just pressing at first, the wrong colour of button.

They don't seem to have messed about with the red button.
They do admit to removing the green button functionality.
If they can put a little message up when you come into a BBC channel programme after the start, it wouldn't be difficult to put a message up that due to unusual circumstances, the green button wasn't working.
The first time I contacted them, they didn't say anything about the special mode, instead giving me some old guff about it not working on some old Vestel (Turkish) TVs.
Only when I raised it to a formal complaint did they give the real reason.
All it did was cause a lot of inconvenience in trying to work out why something that worked at the beginning of the week, had stopped working at the end.
All I can say is thank goodness for alternatives like Yesterday.

They don't seem to have messed about with the red button.
They do admit to removing the green button functionality.

Was there a time when both red and green buttons worked on BBC channels? I only ever saw the message about the green button in the top corner, so never realised the red one did anything useful, if it did - I've only had this LG three years, and I am still finding things it does, which I didn't realise :)

If they can put a little message up when you come into a BBC channel programme after the start, it wouldn't be difficult to put a message up that due to unusual circumstances, the green button wasn't working.

I agree.

The green button icon has just started to appear, in the top corner and the green button is back to working to take me directly to Restart. I also checked if the red button also worked, and it does.

Yes, functionality is restored.
I wonder just how many people must have put it down to something else gone wrong with the TV.
Initially, I did wonder if the physical button itself was working.
It's clear that the BBC had this event planned for some time.
They could and should have let viewers know that some services would be disrupted or suspended for the duration.
Added to this the fact that comments were suspended on the BBC website as well, you can't help but think that the BBC was toeing the line.
BBC has gone down a notch in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back