BBC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you tell me whats happening here please. We find it hard to watch the BBC as our T.V, four yr old 42inch,keeps breaking down(the picture and sound) this is since the digi changeover i think.
We are also using a freeview box, everything else if fine with the T.V. just the BBC, thanks.
I have tuned and retuned to death.

Sponsored Links
This is a quick and dirty reply. Others can add more detail....

Without knowing your location and other more indepth details then best guess would be either too much signal or you need to do a full reset.

Too much signal: when analogue and digital had to co-exist for a while the power of the digital transmitters was kept low to avoid interference with existing analogue channels. New aerial installs of the time were set up with that signal level in mind. After DSO the power of the digital transmitters was upped. This left some with aerial installs that now have too much signal boosting.

Full reset: Again to do with DSO, the channel allocations have been shifted as analogue made way for digital. A simple TV retune does not solve the problem. Do a "from fresh" install and let the TV find the stations again.

I agree with Chris that too much signal is probably the most likely cause. However, did you know that almost 50% of faults are caused by a bad fly-lead between TV and wall (or to other equipment)?

Anyway, check out everything mentioned here:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

Eliminate the possibilities, one by one.

Sponsored Links
Re tuned the full trip like you said, and as i brought the T.V. back to life it started again. Now says mst of the time "no signal" :rolleyes: ****ed off paying for a licence and can't watch the beeb.!!!

It could be an analogue signal which is stopping the digital signal. I had the problem with Winter Hill transmitter. They during change over used channel 68 seem to remember for "Channel 5" but this was also the standard frequency used with Sky boxes. So many were re-tuned to another frequency however after change over Winter Hill moved the frequencies used so it again resulted in the Sky boxes, video recorders and other items which transmit on analogue ending up either on the same or a harmonic of the digital signals.

I had to re-tune my Sky box a few times before I found a free frequency where the harmonics did not cause a problem.

My mother was affected by a neighbour and had to move their aerial two feet to stop the problem. Seems neighbour only used sky. When their box went into standby signal was OK so it took some time to find the problem as during the day time all worked A1 it was only in the evening when there was a problem.

I could be doing same now to my neighbours as I gave up with Freeview because it required re-tuning so many times. I only watch Yesterday on Freeview as it's a pay for channel with satellite.

My TV and digi-boxes all have for the digital signal a built in meter which gives both signal strength and quality what do these show on your set-up. I now use an old loop aerial in my window to receive Moel-y-parc given up with Winter Hill and Central all which in the analogue days I could receive. Using a much simpler aerial has helped with auto re-tune problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back