Lost all BBC channels on Freeview?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an analogue TV with digibox in our lounge, and kitchen has a small freeview ready TV. BBC has always been the weakest signal, suffering a little pixelation from time to time, but last week, the kitchen set had no BBC at all. The lounge digibox (first in line from the aerial) was still getting signal, but is was not as clear as usual. I did a channel search on the kitchen set, and it now does not detect any BBC channels at all. This weekend did the same on the lounge digibix and that has now lost BBC altogether too.

We also have sky, and can get the BBC channels through that, but bit of a pain when we want to record something on BBC as that is the only source!

I checked out the cables today, unplugged DVD recorder, set-top boxes etc and bypassed them, and each time did a new channel search and still nothing. I have checked for software upgrades on both box and TV and they are both up to date. Hubby wants to get someone out to look at the aerial, but surely if we are receiving everything else on freeview, it can't be that? Aerial is old, but has been working fine up to now - just feel they'll talk us into an expesive upgrade when not needed. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
What do neighbours say ? No BBC too ?

We live in the sticks, only 1 near neighbour in his 80's and he only uses Sky. The next nearest houses are on the other side of a slight hill and get their signal from another transmitter which we cannot use due to the landscape blocking signal path. I have checked the transmitter info for the 1 we do use and there is no planned maintenance shutdown or reduced power.

Sam, thank you for the link, off to read that info now.

Sponsored Links
The digital channels come in groups. If the aerial signal is a bit weak then it is possible to have one group that is a bit marginal while the rest remain good enough for reasonable reception. Digital isn't as forgiving as analogue when it comes to an iffy signal strength. It's either good enough. pixely, or nothing at all.

The weather this last week has been quite windy in places. Old aerial = old aerial bracket = a bit of corrosion = a reasonable chance the bracket may have moved a bit in the wind, or the old cable has got worn through at some point.

If you've done some basic troubleshooting, and you've tried retuning but still have the channels missing then it might be time to call in an aerial guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back