BC and Electrical work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in 2008 I obtained planning and BC approval to build an extension on 'Notice'.

I was doing the work myself and steadily progressed to the point where the roof was on and all the plasterboard was up having had various inspections along the way.
The last time we had a visit from the inspector she said that the next time she wanted to see the property was when it was complete and I had obtained a test certificate for the electrics.

Just before her visit I had also had a visit from an electrician to get some final advice about the electrics and what he needed to do to test them and issue a certificate once complete,
He said all he needed to do was check the fuse box (a separate one was installed for the extension - this being fed from the main existing fuse box), physically inspect some sockets, light switches and roses and for me to let him know when it was ready.

Due to financial problems and ill health I stopped work for quite some time and have only just started to get back to finalising the build as we are selling the house.

The electrician who visited me previously is no longer contactable so I rang another to arrange a visit.

He told me that he is not allowed to issue simply test the installation and issue a certificate if he did not do the work, and he says no one else can under the regulations now.

Before I go calling building control to discuss this, can anyone clarify the current situation regarding testing, issuing a certificate and building control because if the latest information is correct I have a problem as the electrical work is now all buried under plaster and other finishes.

Here's hoping that the answer is good news.

Sponsored Links
That electrician is correct. Only the council can arrange testing/certification of other's work.

Thanks for the feedback - which raises 2 issues.

1. Why was I led to believe by the inspector (and an electrical contractor) at the time that I could arrange a certificate on completion of the electrical work - using my own electrician? Has this rule changed in the last few years???

2. How did building control approve and finalise an extension built by my brother appox 5 years ago? He did the work and then had an electrician sign it off. I remember seeing the certificate which stipulated that he had physically checked 'x' number of sockets etc, and had done all the tests. Building control signed his build off on receipt of the certificate.

Seems rather confusing and something does not seem quite correct here.

1. You need to ask them. The rules have not changed

2 Yes, if you can find any old electrician who is registered to self certify, and is prepared to pretend he did the work and issue a certificate, the council will accept that because they wont know any different.

Sponsored Links
I could not get hold of anyone in my local building control, so I spoke to someone in a neighbouring council dept.

He said if the work had been completed as a self-build then they would accept a qualified electrician doing an 'interim' inspection and as long the test showed the wiring to be certifiable as safe at this point in time they would accept that.

In fact, the person I spoke to said he had done a self-build and installed the wiring himself, and that is how he got the build signed off.

So maybe there is a simple way around my current situation after all.

Spoke to BC this morning - they confirmed that they would accept a safety certificate with no problem - problem resolved.

in cases like this when the job has gone on too long and the electrical regs have changed during the build ie Amendment 3 2015. BC would accept a condition report.
i had a similar scenario where the extension build started 2012 the electrician did 70% of the work including fitting a 17th edition consumer unit (plastic one). Job stopped due to lack of funds new regs came into force 2015 where one the changes was to install a metal consumer unit. Job completed early this year BC accepted a Electrical condition report as it was satisfactory but not to current standards

Hope this helps

in cases like this when the job has gone on too long and the electrical regs have changed during the build ie Amendment 3 2015. BC would accept a condition report.
i had a similar scenario where the extension build started 2012 the electrician did 70% of the work including fitting a 17th edition consumer unit (plastic one). Job stopped due to lack of funds new regs came into force 2015 where one the changes was to install a metal consumer unit. Job completed early this year BC accepted a Electrical condition report as it was satisfactory but not to current standards

Hope this helps
Thanks for that.

I am having a bit of trouble finding an electrician locally who can do a safety check with the requisite certificate.
How much did yours cost you, and what did they do on the inspection - do you remember?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back