BC refusing to help re: boundary flue too close as self-cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!

I live in a semi and new neighbour has installed a flue very close to my boundary, in the rear bedroom of the first floor. Usual problems, plumes blowing across and entering through window etc. As I am asthmatic, this is a particular health problem for me.

Building Control have been next to useless, coming up with one excuse after another. Finally, they did measure the distance from the flue to my boundary and said it was 220mm. However, on this forum, I read that the distance should be 300mm.

Despite this, Building Control are refusing to do anything about it as they say the installation is self-certified (Gas Safe installer) and does not fall under building control. What am I supposed to do?

Also, there is a constant low frequency noise and humming/vibration which can be heard not only in the rear bedroom, but the bathroom which is also on the rear.

I desperately need advice!

Sponsored Links
If there are actually fumes coming in your window, then essentially it's products of combustion and is classed under gas regs as immediately dangerous.
If proven by using a flue gas analyser that fumes are entering your property then with permission of neighbour their gas to boiler will be capped, if they don't allow it then your local gas network ie transco etc will cap it at the street and they will usually have to pay to reinstate.

If poc's are entering then neighbour will have to move boiler or have a plume management kit fitted to take it away from your window.

If you don't get anywhere with neighbour call gas safe, they can come and see if it's entering your property.

You might get a better response from the Environmental Health Dept at your local Council.

Call gas safe.

Similar thread running here already, although 80mm won't suddenly so fumes entering your property. So you'll be sick with the nuisance clause in the regs.

Sponsored Links
contact gas safe who maybe able to help.

other alternative is to offer to pay to have a plume kit fitted to their flue to stop this nuisance if gassafe are no help

Call this number 0800 408 5577...they will offer you a free inspection and will take action to make you safe and property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back