Condensing Combi - Flue distance from boundary?

Paul Barker said:
Might be simpler to ask council to put up a fence or a wall to bounce the fumes back to the side they belong on.

Interesting how the council are quite happly to do a dodgy installation yet if I did one they'd be on my back like a ton of bricks and so would corgi.

Like the fence idea Paul :) Maybe a brick wall might be better though.

I know what you mean about councils getting away with dodgy installs. A joiner mate mentioned the same thing to me earlier on.

Got another quick update on this. My local councillor is now involved so I'm hoping he can get something done and quickly as I'm getting pretty stressed about this now.

Cheers!

Kasman

Sponsored Links
Yes well only a few weeks ago I condemned a gas fire because of a very dangerous spillage situation, the worst I've known, customer said it was like that when the council did their anual gas safety inspection but fitter told customer "the council don't like spending money on flues".

I capped off the gas supply to it and left the appropriate warning notice and form.

The child always fell asleep in that room and everyone got headaches in there.

The catchment area was black with soot, the false coals were black with soot and a very big build up, the flame picture was yellow.

On a spillage test it was 100% initially and after 10 minutes heating up the chimney it was 50%. Our guidelines allow for "the odd wiff".

If I were a council tenant I would get an independent gas safety check done by someone with no interest. It would cost me money but may save my life.

There is no way that a reputable installer would fit a boiler to provide that nuicance to neighbours in this day and age. Your council is guilty of cowboy operation, just like my local one.

You ,might say what was i doing checking a gas appliance in a council house.. I had been asked in to cap off the gas cooker, not strictly necessary with the bayonet fitting but a good idea. As I have a duty of care to the client in all their gas appliances and pipework once I do work on any part of it, I do a spillage test and visual inspection of all open flued devices and visual inspection of balanced flue appliances. It doesn't take long, and a smoke match is pennies.

Not sure from the colour of the flue what boiler it is.

Paul is right about councils doing cowboy installs, I have mentioned on here before about a council bungalow in my area where the conensate pipe just drips onto the floor right next to the brickwork making it all damp.

Paul, PED cheers for the replies. I really appreciate the support. The stress of this is really starting to effect me and I haven really slept well for the past few nights.

Building Control phoned me this morning and explained that the architects were sticking to their guns about the the flue. I'm waiting for a letter so I can reply and I will be contesting it.

I've uploaded a pic to flickr which shows the position of the flue between the properties. The url is http://www.flickr.com/photos/82828644@N00/
Any comments on this are much appreciated.

Regards

Kasman

Sponsored Links
The important part of the corgi publication Essential Gas Safety is Revised OCT 2002 is page 213 "When the products of combustion are discharged, they should not cause a nuicance to adjoining or adjacent properties."

You have them on that point.

Looks to me like in certain prevailing conditions their flue gasses could enter your front door as you describe.

If you had any money and took them to civil court you would win. It is a shame that you have to rely on agencies who may not wish to set a precedent which would result in that council having to resite at great expense all boilers positioned like this.

I am sure corgi don't have the resolve to do it for you, they would prefer to give an independent gas installer a hard time over which end of a gas pipe through a wall should be sealed. Sad but true.

If I was a rich man I would take your case to court for you, but I'm not, despite being a gas fitter.

Paul Barker said:
The important part of the corgi publication Essential Gas Safety is Revised OCT 2002 is page 213 "When the products of combustion are discharged, they should not cause a nuicance to adjoining or adjacent properties."

You have them on that point.

Looks to me like in certain prevailing conditions their flue gasses could enter your front door as you describe.

If you had any money and took them to civil court you would win. It is a shame that you have to rely on agencies who may not wish to set a precedent which would result in that council having to resite at great expense all boilers positioned like this.

I am sure corgi don't have the resolve to do it for you, they would prefer to give an independent gas installer a hard time over which end of a gas pipe through a wall should be sealed. Sad but true.

If I was a rich man I would take your case to court for you, but I'm not, despite being a gas fitter.

Thanks for this Paul. I'm thinking about speaking to my solicitor about it and see what he says. Maybe a nasty letter would give me some relief.

I've just been signed off work with stress for the rest of the week. Could have done without this but hey we all have bad years I guess.

Cheers!

Kasman

Some more info, finally found out that the boiler is a Worcester Green Star HE but on contacting Worcester they informed me that they dont do a plume management kit. I've tried Glow Worm but the chap there said that their plume kit wasnt compatible with the Worcester systems. Looks like I might have to go back to trying legislation and proove that the flue is to close to my property :( unless the BS 5440 part one cant help but i dont have access to BS stuff anymore :(

Kasman

Last and final update. Spoke to the head architect today to let him know I'd taken a few dimensions myself and by my calculations the flue pipe was 210mm from the C/L of the party wall. He did some checks himself, phoned me back and said that the boiler and flue are going to be moved. Might even be as soon as tomorrow!

Guys, a big thanks to all for the advice, help and support. If I know where you all were I'd buy yas a beer or 12... or at least give you a wee dram or 4 from my malt whisky stash :)

Cheer!

Kasman

I am very pleased for you.

I expect it will take a while for architects to get the message just how noticeable flue plumes' are these days. The frightening thing is that it has always been the case that they shouldn't cause a nuicance to neightbours but because they weren't visible most of the time you were unaware.

I had a neighbour with a flue that discharged straight onto my drive. I now repair that old Vokera for the owner. The day that she needs a new boiler I'll have to use a vertical flue. It should never have been fitted where it is now in the first place and if her present neighbours kicked up a fuss she would have to pay to have it moved. Because it is not a condenser she is just getting away with it. I do my best to keep the old crock going for her because a new boiler would no way be acceptable in that position.

That architect is the one you need to buy a drink for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back