Condensing Combi - Flue distance from boundary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm really hoping someone can help with this. I live in an end terraced house and my neighbour has, last week, had a new boiler installed. The flue is very close to my property but does comply (supposedly) with the new Scottish Building Standards (300mm from edge of flue to centre of party wall). The trouble is that the exhaust plume constantly invades my property and if I open the front door I have loverly white "guests" coming in. Other than resiting my front door or putting up a sign to point visitors to the back door is there anything that I can do?

Thanks in advance

Kasman

Sponsored Links
Flues must not "be a nuisance". I don't think there's anything which says his flue is misplaced, but your Building Control Office might have something to say about it.

A metal sheet like a flag might help but I can hear you already!

I heard a rumour that a London council was having trouble with punch-ups between neighbours over condensing flues. They denied it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

ChrisR said:
Flues must not "be a nuisance". I don't think there's anything which says his flue is misplaced, but your Building Control Office might have something to say about it.

A metal sheet like a flag might help but I can hear you already!

I heard a rumour that a London council was having trouble with punch-ups between neighbours over condensing flues. They denied it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks Chris. The house is council owed and I've been discussing this flue issue with the council architects. Just heard from them again and they wont do anything about it as they are saying that it fully complies with the building regs. I cant find anything about the no nuisance in the Scottish building regs through. Is there another document I should be referring to? Who should I speak to next? Environmental Health?

I've had a chat with the neighbour and he informed me that they wont resite the boiler as it will cause a lot of upheaval. Can say I blame him specially this close to Xmas.

Cheers again!

Kasman

Quick update. Spoke to Transco and they pointed me to CORGI. CORGI gave some good advice and then pointed me to Environmental Health who have now taken up my complaint. Also spoken to the building control officer about the use of a diverter for the plume. He seems happy with this but will need to speak with the architects about it.

I'm not going to let this lay though. If none of this works I'll start with local councillor and MP.

If anyone can think of anything else I could do I would be really grateful.

Best wishes

Kasman

Sponsored Links
Some manufacturers make a plume management kit. Its a pipe which sticks on the end of the flue to redirect the plume. Not pretty looking but it does the job.

Alternatively they can fit a twin flue system.

htgeng said:
Some manufacturers make a plume management kit. Its a pipe which sticks on the end of the flue to redirect the plume. Not pretty looking but it does the job.

Alternatively they can fit a twin flue system.

Is the twin flue system with the exhaust at high level and the intake and low level? Would this require any inerior alterations to the boiler? I'm trying to make these suggestions easy for the council and with the least hassles for my neighbour.

Many thanks

Kasman

You go for it mate, they should have considered you when designing and installing the boiler, typical attitude of fek you I am allright jack.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
You go for it mate, they should have considered you when designing and installing the boiler, typical attitude of fek you I am allright jack.

lol! wanna come over and project manage for me for a couple of days? Maybe you can scare the architects into learning to use a measuring tape!

I've just checked the position of the centre of the party wall myself. I was a architectural tech for 12 years before change of careers so I know how to survey a building. Party wall appears to be about 11" thick and by my calculations the edge of the flue pipe is 3" to close to centre of it. Building Control are meant to be coming out today so I hope they back up my findings.

Wish I could post pictures or I could show u how close it is.

Kasman

As a matter of interest do you know what the boiler is?

Stick at it! Hopefully a flue diverter should be an answer. Presumably this is stinking his house out too?

ChrisR said:
As a matter of interest do you know what the boiler is?

Stick at it! Hopefully a flue diverter should be an answer. Presumably this is stinking his house out too?

Sorry Chris I have no idea what the make and model of the boiler is but it doesnt half chuck out the fumes!

Had a quick chat with the guy running the show for the works and he also mentioned the twin pipe system as a possible solution. Will mention this to building control and the architects next time I speak to them.

The prevailing wind mostly chucks the fumes into my garden and in the front door but the wind did change for a bit at lunchtime and it was blowing over towards his window. I am feeling sorry for the tennant having to put up with this nonsense but if the council had got it right in the first place then this wouldnt be happening!

I may be going OTT on this issue but I'm concerned about the health of my 2 year old daughter and wife. Specially as my wife is expecting another baby.

Cheers again. All this info is helping me to fight on :)

Kasman

Well if it's got an aluminium heat exchanger and your breathing in minute qauntities of aluminium hurry up cause when the alzheimers kicks in you wont remember why you wanted it moved. :cry:

Well if it's got an aluminium heat exchanger and your breathing in minute qauntities of aluminium hurry up cause when the alzheimers kicks in you wont remember why you wanted it moved. :cry:

It looks like a plastic one. Has the inlet in the bottom part and the outlet at the top part. Council did give me a CO detector for the house but I either a) want the flue moved or b) modified so its exhausts higher up!

I get the feeling its going to be a long battle.

Cheers!

kasman

What colour is the flue?

Looks sort of white/grey. I've got a closeup picture of it. Its one big pipe with a smaller one inside it at the top. I take it that the intake is the larger as the smaller one is definetly the the exhaust.

Kasman

Might be simpler to ask council to put up a fence or a wall to bounce the fumes back to the side they belong on.

Interesting how the council are quite happly to do a dodgy installation yet if I did one they'd be on my back like a ton of bricks and so would corgi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back