Bco, SE or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to get some structural work signed off. One being a chimney breast removal from the ground floor with an rsj spannin wall to wall, the other being an opening from the kitchen to the extension. There are suitably sized beams in place so I'm hoping to regularize the works through the council. For these types of works, will I need structural calcs and drawing beforehand or would the council come out and have the knowledge of whether my house is aqequately supported?

I know that I'm opening a can of worms but because I'm voluntarily applying I believe that I'm not under any legal implications with the council.

Sponsored Links
@Callismichael the kind of advice you may receive may depend on the reasons you have for regularising the works and the history of the works.

Nevertheless generally you would expose the ends of each beam to establish what size the beam is and its bearings, then if it is not obviously oversized BC will likely expect SE calcs to prove it. But then you may have photos or other evidence to prove it.

Really your post is pretty vague so if you want better advice you will need to expand on the situation ....

Sponsored Links
@Callismichael the kind of advice you may receive may depend on the reasons you have for regularising the works and the history of the works.

Nevertheless generally you would expose the ends of each beam to establish what size the beam is and its bearings, then if it is not obviously oversized BC will likely expect SE calcs to prove it. But then you may have photos or other evidence to prove it.

Really your post is pretty vague so if you want better advice you will need to expand on the situation ....

I've lost all of my photos. I'm trying to avoid the expense of an SE ad the cheapest quote for the Manchester area is £300 plus vat. I'm conscious that should anything happen in my home that I'm not going to be insured due to pack of building regs.

I had the front of a chimney breast supported by a decent sized rsj but I don't know the size) 2 years ago and no sign of problems, then a knock through with the same size rsj or slightly smaller I believe but these walls are not a big concern as they're only supporting the external wall of the house. Normal lintel could have been used I believe.

I'm just over paranoid about future implications but need to keep costs down at the same time when the worry is just all in my head. Cuckoo.

I'm just hoping to expose the end bearings, nice inspector comes round and says "more than adequate" and goes on his way. I do know that the rsj is resting on walls with concrete foundations so that's a start as one end of he rsj come through to the living room wall.

What it needs is someone with the relevant PI insurance to put his reputation where his mouth is and say "I've see the job. it'll stand up"

Price wise, the last SE I used said a beam calc from him for a relatively simple scenario, would be about £70..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back