be prepared

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont get it. The weather repoerts forecast teh snow in the southwest and the south yesterday, very heavily. Yet still in the southwest there have been more people stuck in the snow overnight. What really got me was people sitting there moaning saying it was everyone elses fault, when they have done nothing to prepare themselves, no drink, no food, no blankets, no shovels etc etc. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It was in the paper yesterday that the big thaw was coming! :rolleyes:

These weather forecasters just throw darts at a board and hope they are lucky.

down our way and the south west it there were warnings on every local channel all day long, yet still people dont listen

What you expect. AFAIK you are near God`s waiting room and the oversubscribed A 27 :rolleyes: :LOL: . Already had knob end Royal Mail lorry and penisbrain in a Chelsea Tractor ..good old A 22 :evil:

Sponsored Links
Forecasting the weather any more than a few hours ahead seems to be a complete waste of time.

To prove this, look at any 5 day city forecast, eg. Ceefax. More often than not, if you check the same forecast again tomorrow, then most of the temperatures and conditions will have changed. Sometimes by quite a bit.

What's the point of forecasting 5 days ahead, if it keeps changing?
:confused:

i know the weather forecasting is crap, i work outside so i know it cant be relied on, but if you were travelling and there was a chance of bad conditions, would you not go prepared or am i just using common sense, that many whinging idiots on the tv reports seem not to have?

With you all the way on this Thermo.

There are enough warnings to put sensible people off going out but it doesn't seem to get through to idiots who have the attitude, "It won't happen to me, it always happens to someone else."

I have news for them!

To someone else YOU are that someone else!
Anyone who goes out in inclement weather and ignores warnings and goes un-prepared should lose their licence for 6 months in my opinion.

My trusty shovel went in the car the first morning we had a hint of snow, and will probably stay there until I tidy my car out next christmas :LOL:

got say my snow chains have been absolutley brilliant. if youre in any doubt, well worth getting them. drove anywhere i wanted to today very safely, whilst others were skidding around or getting stuck.

biggets ****** of the day award goes to the idiot who was driving up the road towards me. I pulled over to let him pass, however i noticed he was on his mobile phone whilst trying to keep the car under control. shame he got stuck. Of course i didnt wind down myy window and speak my mind!

I dont get it. The weather repoerts forecast teh snow in the southwest and the south yesterday, very heavily. Yet still in the southwest there have been more people stuck in the snow overnight. :
But it didn't snow everywhere in the south west, up here in North Devon it was sleet all day with a little overnight snow.But with the forecast as it was why didn't the council have snow ploughs ready up on haldon/telegraph hills, these same two roads were closed last year after heavy snow.
There are enough warnings to put sensible people off going out but it doesn't seem to get through to idiots who have the attitude, "It won't happen to me, it always happens to someone else."
But some of the people unprepared left work here at 4.30 pm when it was ok to travel to South Devon .

But you don't just prepare when they tell you to!

Once autumn starts coming in it is no genius that decides to put a spare blanket, and small spade in the boot. You should alsways carry a torch and hopefully some way of communicating/keeping in touch with someone at any time of year. When the weather starts to get wintry carry a flask of hot water and a few packets of dried soups or something each day, especially if you drive through the country to get to work. And make sure each day you have enough petrol to get you through your return journey with a bit to spare.

I see your point, but I think the reason people don't prepare is they think "It's not like I'm driving up deserted mountain roads, I'll be on a motorway with thousands of other motorists, mobile phones and service stations. What could possibly go wrong?".

Then they end up kipping on the A3 with thousands of other motorists, and it turns out mobile phones aren't that tasty... :eek:

I don't carry a shovel, but I do have a couple of litres of water in the car (need to get some more as I used it to try and defrost my washer jets - unsuccessfully!)

Perhaps I should go the whole hog, medicinal brandy *just in case*, ready meals for cooking on the engine block and snow chains for when I run out of brandy and chicken madras and decide it's time to get home again?:cool:

½ doz eggs and a packet of bacon or sausages.
Then you can use the spade to fry them like the train drivers used to! :LOL:

snow chains!!! what the hell?
it's not like we're in nothern canada here....

while they might be of some use on compacted, un-gritted side roads, you're tearing up the road when you get onto the gritted and cleared sections of road..
do you stop and take them off once on the main roads? I doubt it..

Sponsored Links
Back