Beam and block hangars?

I never said I was leaving. I asked unhelpful people not to pass unhelpful or abusive comments. And yet you appear to have opted to do so. The reasons for which I have no idea. It's a public forum, I've asked a perfectly reasonable question and I've had some good advice.

You don't govern this forum - so esaentially your comments amount to bullying.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bailey,

I've had conversations with my structural engineer and an architect. I'm renovating the whole property and installing solid wall insulation. Since the floor is rotten and needs to come out, I was looking at this option since it would allow me to continue a solid floor from kitchen through to living area, install UFH with good thermal performance and whilst also retaining as much headroom in the basement as possible and there are some good insulation options for this method.

Are we to take it that you will be doing this work yourself?

Hi Belboz,
Yes this is the plan. again I have assistance. I'm just trying to learn and find answers to a few questions.

Sponsored Links
Hi Belboz,
Yes this is the plan. again I have assistance. I'm just trying to learn and find answers to a few questions.

The thrust of your initial posts gave rise to concern as replacement of your current (apparently condemned) floor 'like-for-like' would be more expected as opposed to what is intended (block and beam) hence why it was deemed a 'strange decision' and was commented on as such.

Whilst you have given some more detailed information in your later post, it is still of concern to the expert professionals on here that you appear to intend carrying out major structural work yourself especially with what appears to be a lack of remedial knowledge of the subject.

The experts on here raised the question because, at first glance, a professional builder would be unlikely to choose this option and any attempt to carry out this work yourself without the requisite skill and knowledge could end in catastrophe and potentially fatality.

These same experts have a wealth of knowledge but their professionalism means they are duty-bound to raise an eyebrow at plans which appear to be 'strange' at best and potentially disastrous at worst.

May I then ask what assistance do you have to actually carry out this work (apart from the architect and structural engineer) ?

Its very difficult to say with out seing in tbh personaly id opt for putting back what was already there why was the floor condemed? Rotten ? If so what caused it ?

@OP, I think you may be missing the point here.

To install a beam-and-block floor in an existing house is unusual, particularly if it is an older terrace house.

For one thing, there is the problem of getting the beams into a confined space.

Second, if you decide to sit them into the existing walls, you will need to cut reasonably wide pockets, and the existing brickwork might not be up to it.

You still need to ventilate under the floor if using beam-and-block. The most sensible and logical solution would be to renew using timber, albeit with improvements such as better ventilation, and dealing with existing damp issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back