beam and block raised patio advice needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - trawled for info but finding slim pickings...I need to build an elevated patio behind a house on a hill to allow level wheelchair access out into the garden. It can't be deck (horrible to travel on...shakes all your fillings loose :)!) so i want to lay slabs (probably Indian sandstone or similar). Height to take up is a good half metre...so I'm thinking easiest and quickest way might be beam and block base? What do you reckon - good plan or bad plan? If you have any better ideas I'd appreciate any input! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
iff its to enjoy the outside then its a raised platform and needs to be less than 300mm above ground to avoid the need for planning permission
if its connected to a ramp as a landing then its part off the ramp but will need to in proportion as in roughly something like 1200mmx 1200mm or whatever size a wheelchair needs??

Thanks so much for your quick response big-all - yes, aware we are going to have to go down the PP route as theres no choice :(. Garden not deep enough to just have a ramp - it would have to be too steep not to take over the whole plot. Unless anyone can suggest a surface that would be classed as decking but not decking if you catch my drift, so it becomes a 'less permanent' structure so planning doesn't have to be involved?

Thanks so much for your quick response big-all - yes, aware we are going to have to go down the PP route as theres no choice :(. Garden not deep enough to just have a ramp - it would have to be too steep not to take over the whole plot. Unless anyone can suggest a surface that would be classed as decking but not decking if you catch my drift, so it becomes a 'less permanent' structure so planning doesn't have to be involved?

even with decking planning will be required.

Sponsored Links
pants - oh well, was worth a thought. thanks for that info though

If you build an elevated platform and use marine grade ply as the flooring, rather than decking boards, you can lay anti-slip coating on it. Access to the garden from the platform could be via a slope parallel to the platform rather than pointing out from the platform. A picture and some rough sizes/dimensions might help to come up with some ideas.

pants - oh well, was worth a thought. thanks for that info though

as for your original question, thats a good idea to avoid decking, although it is quite costly.

have a look at composite decking, they do a smooth range and on some types you can have zero gap between boards this will alleviate the wheelchair jiggling/shaking

Thanks again. We did wonder about composite but we like the high-end expensive stuff that looks like real wood grain (and I'm not sure I like the idea of the finish scuffing over time like the makers have said happens) and the appeal of low/no maintenance stone slabs really appealed, as aethetics are a big deal as we will be sitting looking at it from the house, hopefully through some nice bifold doors ;)

this is the basic idea...excuse the rough sketch. Planned patio approx 2m deep
diynot garden sketch.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back