Becoming A Qualified Tiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last eight years I have been employed in telephone banking taking a rather secondary role to my wife the bread winner whilst I helped bring up our children. However I will now be officially redundent at the end of the month due to our department closing. Anyway I have always been quite good with my hands and umd and argh'd between carpentry and tiling, and decided tiling is for me. Now I have very little experience of tiling other than some basic splash backs at home in the bathroom, and as such need training. The only place anywhere near me that can offer an intensive course are these people http://www.ableskills.co.uk/tiling.htm I would be doing their 6 week intensive course which includes an ICA Tiling level 2 qualification and a card that allows you to work on site. Does anyone have any opinions on these types of course and the qualifications gained. Finnally anyone want to offer me work experience or an aprentiship local to Clacton/Colchester in Essex.

Thanks
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Be warned, tiling plays havoc with your knees - this was a contributing factor in me packing in tiling for a living.
I think you'll struggle to find a tiler that would be willing to take you on with the intention of training you so that you can go off and start a business that would compete with his.
Sorry, I can't advise on tiling courses but wish you all the best if you decide to go for it.

agree totally with gcol, if you go to work for a tiling firm / one man band, do not tell him your intentions, you wont get in the door, as for the courses they are a good insight to how to start, my mate did one, but like anything you dont learn till on the job and you will need help, i know a cpl people who went on the courses then spent a hell of a lot of money on equipment as the courses are designed for you to pass so they keep you happy and have you 4 or 500 quid.

and as for your knees, i thought i was young before this lark! even my rubi kneepads dont help, a lifetime of footy and tiling takes its toll!

hope it helps, probs not tho!

Jef :cool:

Sponsored Links
I have done something very similar to you, worked in the corporate world and then re trained, one big piece of advice.

LOOK LONG AND HARD AT THE COURSES AVAILABLE

I paid for and attended a well established and well advertise course down south and it was rubbish, a complete waste of money.

So i had to look at another course and pay again, i have now just completed a tiling course in the north east and it was fantastic i have learnt so much,

Have a read on here at the course and ask yourself why come course have hundreds of feedback and other course have not.

Good luck in your new career

Gareth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back