Becoming a spark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice a lot of posts on this forum about c&g qualifications and testing certificates.

Is it now possible to be an electrician without serving your time for 3 or 4 years?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

without serving the 3/4years. You are very limited to what you can do however if you were working with a fully qualified spark he can point you in the right direction and check your work.

carlos

Unfortunately not, however if you get some practical experience then the electrical installation courses will be slightly easier as you have an understanding in installation.

takes a long time to get good pay, i'm 'fully qualified' and just about to do the testing and inspection course... taken 4years and i have 1year practical experience and im still getting paid under £7 an hour.......

not sure what other people would have to say about that...

carlos

Sponsored Links
TheWizard said:
Is it now possible to be an electrician without serving your time for 3 or 4 years?

you cant learn everything in a 5 week course.

truth is it depends on exactly what you mean by spark. afaict electrician in this country has never had a legal definition.

afaict you can get into the part P self cert schemes with a few short courses and for commercial/industrial its just a matter of what the guys employing you (and/or thier insurers) consider acceptable.

The Wizard, you can become a cowboy without any training though.

Just think, no outlay on college fees, no outlay on a self-certification scheme, no outlay on test equipment, no outlay on public liability insurance.

From your perspective it's cheaper and quicker!

I have had similar enquiries.

I have had several people contact me regarding mature apprenticeships- the pay set out for mature apprentices is > £8.00 per hour.

At this cost it becomes unecenomic then we resort to immature kids (£3.23 per hour) who take a look at the job without realising that there may be effort involved.

There is no happy medium.

Most of us would compromise and take on an older person if we could pay a rate nearer the minimum wage

Hello,

regarding what you are saying about pay... may i ask if you think my pay is fair?

Im 20years of age fully mobile with no convictions, with my old job i had a 100% attendance record for 3years with many great references. I funded all my college and study's out of my pocket including recently paying £535 to do a 4day training course on the testing and inspection 2391. I have my own tools (not a great deal of power tools) my own test equipment.I moved away from the family home at the age of 17. Currently have approx 1year practical experience and i get paid just under £7 an hour. Is this pay ok?

carlos

To be honest Carloss if you are fully qualified then I would say you should be earning at least £9 per hour

It is all supply and demand.

If you are qualified and have a JIB / SJIB card then you get the rate,
Otherwise you don't

Rates are usually dependant on qualifications / experience.

One thing people don't bear in mind is that once a person is trained up they may leave and set up in competition etc.

When I started my apprenticeship I was paid £35 per week, times have changed- now someone with the same expereince as I had then is expected to be paid £7.09-£7.71 .... (£270 per week)

You do the maths and ask yourself
1. Why is there a skill shortage
2. Why is is so hard for people over 22 to get into the industry.

Point made..

This lack of governement / LEC / funding combined with lack of flexability is strangling the skilled trades

andy said:
TheWizard said:

you cant learn everything in a 5 week course.

I didn't say you could. I was only asking out of interest, I'm starting my apprenticeship so I don't really care whether you can or cant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back