Becoming a sparky...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Im all new to this, as you can guess I'm looking for advice on becoming an electrician...

At the moment, im seriously stuck in a dead end job, and I really need to get out of the rat race and do something for myself.

Ive always been pretty practical, and always had a major interest in electrics & electronics. I studied Music Technology & Physics at college/uni, but since then ive floated my way through various random jobs...

I started a trainee position with my local council about 18months ago, training as a technical housing officer. I loved it, just what I wanted to do, but after 6 months training the council lost the funding for my job, and like many others I was made redundant. At the moment I have another council office job, but I need more.

Im really worried about the financial aspect of training, I appreciate it isn't going to be cheap, but id really appreciate some advice on the training costs, time frame etc.

My predicament is this...

Im a home owner, I have bills to pay and financial commitments, so giving up my income to train just isn't an option. Im 23, so as far as I know im too old to be an apprentice. And finally, im a woman!

I just really want to know what my options are? Do night courses exist in this field? Just abit of direction would be great, even if its just to tell me its a bad idea and im being foolish!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
sparky = 2 years of college at 1 day and 1 night each week, or 3 years at 3 nights a week ( about 9-12 hours of lessons a week.. )..

this gives you the knowledge but not the practical experience.. for that you need to work as a "mate" for a couple of years, then an "improver" for a few more as you learn the trade.

after the initial college, there's the testing course and the regs course ( which you have to re-take every so often when they update the regs.. ).

google for C&G 2330 at your local college or adult learning center and you'll find out what courses they have to suit you..

Hey guys,

Im all new to this, as you can guess I'm looking for advice on becoming an electrician...

At the moment, im seriously stuck in a dead end job, and I really need to get out of the rat race and do something for myself.

Ive always been pretty practical, and always had a major interest in electrics & electronics. I studied Music Technology & Physics at college/uni, but since then ive floated my way through various random jobs...

I started a trainee position with my local council about 18months ago, training as a technical housing officer. I loved it, just what I wanted to do, but after 6 months training the council lost the funding for my job, and like many others I was made redundant. At the moment I have another council office job, but I need more.

Im really worried about the financial aspect of training, I appreciate it isn't going to be cheap, but id really appreciate some advice on the training costs, time frame etc.

My predicament is this...

Im a home owner, I have bills to pay and financial commitments, so giving up my income to train just isn't an option. Im 23, so as far as I know im too old to be an apprentice. And finally, im a woman!

I just really want to know what my options are? Do night courses exist in this field? Just abit of direction would be great, even if its just to tell me its a bad idea and im being foolish!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Night courses exist but then you will get no practical experience,but as you said you cant afford to train on an apprentice wage, its lose lose pal :cry: [/b]

Cheers ColJack, really appreciate that.

I know its abit of a pigs ear way round to do it, the truth is I should of just done it when I left school, but I think my female attitude at the time just wouldn't let me, honestly I was scared about being surrounded by men, and not being taken seriously. Hindsights a fine thing though, I ended up doing Music Technology, being the only female on a course of about 150 guys. It was fine, absolutly fine, they all looked after me and I did really well, just wish I would of known it could of been like that if I had actually done what I wanted to do!

I know the practical experience will be a major sticking point, but the option exists for me to drop 1 day a week at work, which would still give me enough money to live on comfortably. Do companies tend to take on volunteers/people looking for unpaid experience? That way I would potentially have 1 day a week practical experience, plus anytime over the weekend etc.

I deffo think night classes are the way im going to have to do it. I cant see any other way without giving up work.

Thanks again guys!

Sponsored Links
without being cheeky, what kind of pay are you on in a council office job?

a mate ( after the first year ) is looking at about £6.50-7.00/hr round here ( or maybe more ) so if the pay's comparable at that then after the first year you could look at starting as a mate..
it's dirty nasty work usually, involving drilling lots of holes, smashing your thumb a few dozen times a week while chiseling out boxes, climbing under floors and into hot/freezing/dusty lofts and doing the general dogs body work usually

Im on roughly about £17k at the moment, however if I did drop a days work it would be more like £15k, which actually isn't far off £7p/h anyway!

I honestly didn't realise the wage would be at that level, I thought id be looking at the standard £100 a week apprentice type wage. But on that kind
of money id be able to live pretty comfortably. Thats really reassuring!!

The mucky stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest, the work I did as a training technical officer was pretty bad (very old council houses, with many hidden surprises), so ive had abit of a taster. Plus im pretty strong, yet quite small, so getting those tools into small loft spaced shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think my main concern is being taken seriously, id be devastated if I put all the hard work into getting qualified, to find that no one would be willing to take me on the gain the practical experience. But I guess Men struggle with that too, its a competitive world afterall!

while it is a generally male occupied job there is a niche market for female sparkies for jobs in single female households for example where someone living alone might feel more comfortable with a female working there than a big burly bloke with his arse hanging out..

not that I'm implying that's all you'd be good for, just pointing out a marketing oportunity that you might have that we don't..

I think there's an all female sparky firm out there somewhere catering to that market already.. I read it in one of the trade mags..

you might want to pick up a free copy of "professional electrician and installer" available on the counter in many good electrical wholesalers.

you'd better have a thick skin though as all trainees get a lot of stick and they might be even harder on you as a girl.. or they might not.. luck of the draw..

Hahaha, I like your thinking! I think I remember seeing a company on 'dragons den' that were trying to get an investment to take their company country wide, It's possibly the same company (I imagine there arn't alot of companies like that out there)...

I know id get alot of stick for it, but what the hell! I am thick skinned, and I can have a laugh at myself... Plus Im a woman, I can allways flash abit of boob to shut the blokes up Haha, just kidding! Seriously though, I accept the fact it isn't going to be easy, and I'm willing to work my arse off for it. Abit or alot of banter wouldn't be enough to put me off, neither would the mucky stuff!

Ive had a look online at the C&G 2330, seams to be a few places in my area offer it as night class (2 nights, and saturday morning over 2 years), so ive requested a couple of prospectuses. The pricing isn't as bad as I thought either £2255 for the whole course, including materials and exams etc. The particular one im looking at also offers work experience on the Saturday afternoons for no extra cost. Not bad! I have a friend doing a similar type of course to become a plumber and im sure hes paid thousands more than that!

I will deffo keep my eye out for a copy of "professional electrician and installer".

Again, thanks so much, you've seriously been a huge help, I honestly had no idea where to start, and now im waiting on course prospectuses!! Its a strange and liberating feeling to know that your dreams can become a reality, and alot more easily than I ever thought!!

Like col said if you start as a mate you will have to do all the dogs work but it will gain you valuable experience.Its all worth it in the end when you get them papers and the money starts coming in.
When i first started all my mates were on min wage and still pulling hundred quid a week more than me and i was thinking what am i doing but now i can get in a week what some get in a month!
Obviously your situation dictates abit but a couple of years hard work would be worth it in the end.

Thanks Sparklms,

Its not all about the cash at the end of the day, its mainly job satisfaction. As long as I have enough money to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly then im happy. I just want to do something I enjoy, have abit of variety, meet new people, just generally enjoy the job, and if the pay at the end of the training ends up being good, then its all a bonus!

I think I could handle the dogs work, like you say its all worth it in the end. Ive never had a problem getting stuck in to somthing!

Thanks again guys! All really useful!

Laurenissa,

What part of notts are you in? I will have a little re-wire in long eaton sometime soon. You can come and have a go, chop a few boxes in if you want, see how you cope with hammer-rash before you spend a lot of effort researching colleges and qualifications. A couple of hours swinging a club hammer might affect your career path ;)

£200 will get you an SDS drill and a box sinker you know.. much faster than hammer and bolster and easier on the hands too... ;)

it might be worth pricing some kit up.. they won't supply it all for you..

start with a 2 inch bolster ( with hand guard.. ) and a 2.5lb or 4lb lump hammer ( bigger is not always better.. ), and maybe a small flat chisel as well..

set of screwdrivers ( insulated ), pair of cutters, tape measure, small level, claw hammer, chalk and pencils, possibly a chalkline and a box / tote to carry them in..

Laurenissa,

What part of notts are you in? I will have a little re-wire in long eaton sometime soon. You can come and have a go, chop a few boxes in if you want, see how you cope with hammer-rash before you spend a lot of effort researching colleges and qualifications. A couple of hours swinging a club hammer might affect your career path ;)

you've looked at her profile pic haven't you?

just to start you off on your new career.... "Woohoo!!! show us yer......" ..... no, can't bring myself to say it.. too much of a gentleman... :)

Legally, there isn't an age limit on apprenticeships any longer.
In reality, I don't know anyone over 20 who has managed to get one.

I'm in training myself - just completed my first year of C&G2330 L2.
I'm getting my results back for my final practical exam on Thursday and then it's off job hunting. Not expecting it to be easy to find a job in these economic conditions - my few personal contacts came up empty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back