becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all im 26 and want to become an electrician, i had to put career prospects on hold due to having children at a young age so just went straight into factory work. ive decided its now or never with my career choice. i love getting my hands dirty and have been a labourer and fitted kitchens and done lighting for family and friends. any tips/hints/pointers on training providers etc is greatly apprectiated. thanks all paul .

Sponsored Links
hi all im 26 and want to become an electrician, i had to put career prospects on hold due to having children at a young age so just went straight into factory work. ive decided its now or never with my career choice. i love getting my hands dirty and have been a labourer and fitted kitchens and done lighting for family and friends. any tips/hints/pointers on training providers etc is greatly apprectiated. thanks all paul .

you could try apply for college course or start labouring on sites with electricians and take it from there?

thanks james , ive got to go manchester college on thursday to have an interview. i would rather do on the job training but its hard to find an apprenticeship for my age.

thanks james , ive got to go manchester college on thursday to have an interview. i would rather do on the job training but its hard to find an apprenticeship for my age.

Your still young so fingers crossed mate! have a look on gumtree etc for electrical jobs

Sponsored Links
Initially i'd start with a course doing regs - evening rather than a block of three days as it's far better to digest it. You could go down the electricians mate route and learn from other trained electricians. There's no real quick route - even if people tell you otherwise. Doing like for like changes for people is one way to earn money if you offer reasonable rates to make it worthwhile for both parties. Good Luck

Both my son and I started with other trades and professions, I started as a vehicle mechanic and bridge builder, my so went to university to study maths. In both cases the transition was slow, I moved to auto electrician and went to collage and got my final certificate as an auto electrician while still in my apprenticeship so electrician appears on the deeds. He worked as an electricians mate, then as alarm engineer, and like me also a radio ham and took the RAE exam. Plus taking the C&G 2381, 2391, 2377, and 2382 exams which are 6 and 12 week night class courses when I took them.

Again in both cases we had family in the trade, so some one to ask questions when required, in fact for a time my son worked for me. So I clearly trained him as well as I could.

My move from Auto Electrics to Mains was in around 1978, I had been trained in traffic light repair, and SLD Pumps considered easier to train me to repair pumps than a pump electrician to repair traffic lights, so I went to Leeds for a crash 2 week course on how to repair pumps. It was only pumps at that point any other electrics I was not taught.

1980 I went to Algeria as a Plant Electrician, which was my apprentice trade. However as the only man with any electrical knowledge on site I had to learn quickly how to repair other items, most important was the freezers, size of a shipping container these were ²the most important things on site, I could not re-gas, but I did everything but that, when the refrigeration guy arrived all he had to do was re-gas. No one was interested in regulations.

I flitted between auto and mains, again when working on the Falklands and became full time main electrical working on the building of Sizewell 'B' power station. Did drop back to kind of working auto on the Seven Bridge job working on the 200 ton straddle carrier which was a mixture of both. After that all main work mainly industrial, including working as the site electrical engineer and did in the end get my degree in electrical and electronic engineering. I did a little house bashing, but only when nothing else on offer.

My son moved from alarm engineer to house bashing, then went self employed, then got his big brake, and got a job in a glass works as electrician, they allowed him day release and he too now has level 5 qualifications and has moved up the scale. He found it easier than me, as he had the maths back ground. I would say the maths was the hardest part. Boolean logic is of course required when programming some PLC's and even when working out cable runs there is some maths involved.

Mistakes cost a lot of money, I remember my boss ordering a role of 185mm² flex only to find it was not permitted so sat there unused until end of contract. Not sure what 100 meters of 185mm² flex costs but not cheap some thousands of pounds. So in industrial electrics one really does have to know what one is doing. However in some sections one never works with anything live, working in Belfast on the last ship made there nothing was made live during my whole contract it was a case of following plans, and not marking the glands, I spend days just putting tie wraps on cables. Unlike domestic every cable was marked and every wire in the cable was marked, and the plans covered every last detail.

Job interviews often one was give a plan and asked what is that? I have even been given a mini exam at an interview with questions like what size overload should a 3/4 horse power 3 phase motor starter have when wired as shown in the diagram. So maths required before you even step on the job.

When my son started there was no Part P and so builders and electrical firms could employ electricians mates to do the donkey work. Often it was in real terms cheap labour. As to if they still do this I don't know? However some way you need to work with other electricians. There is no way you can do a course and come out as an electrician. Although my son went as a sole trader by that point he had worked cards in with an electrical firm wiring houses so he knew what is expected, he also had family with dad, and grand dads all in the trade.

So you need to find some one who will employ you, minimum wage has not helped, in the days when employers could pay a pittance, they could afford to employ mates, today they are rare. My son worked as a mate wiring an estate of 30 houses, he only saw the electrician once a week as he came to inspect and test. Yet his wage was very low.

Other ways to get a start was to work abroad, the Falklands Islands Company would employ people with very low qualifications and they learnt on the job, again very low pay but all food and keep found, but they are no more. VSO was the same, many who worked with me started with VSO for a couple of years then found high paid jobs as a result. But voluntary work clearly only gives you food and keep, your wife would need to support the family at home.

My son took it in turns with his wife going to Uni. There are few ways of gaining the qualifications and experience without loss of earnings. Some families do have connections and can get their sons trained as helicopter pilots, but most of us don't have that luck.

Hopefully you look like this?
Or maybe in shorts he looks like this:

bootyshorts1.jpg

its hard to find an apprenticeship for my age.
But seriously - at 26 you ought not to have a problem like that.

At 26 you are nowhere near too old to be able to manage the physical aspects, and at 26 (with a family) you are no longer an irresponsible teenage t**t who will stop up late drinking and smoking herbal tobacco, and be late/dozy the next day.

I'm sure that there are hard-of-thinking electricians out there who can't see past your age, but try putting your case. Don't be too bashful, in writing, to big up your maturity and work experience and acquired work ethic.

thanks mate , its hard for me to get an apprenticeship due to my age but i will get it done , ive been to manchester college today and ive got to do an assessment test for maths and english and if i achieve level 2 in them both im on the level 2 electrical installations course. the coarse tutor said the test are easy and just common knowledge so hopefully i should be ok fingers crossed haha.

Was he really that coarse?

Sounds like you are on the track though.

Apprenticeship may not be a must have. What is essential is getting your hands on some practical experience. Backed up by the theory from college.
Age should not be a barrier. The IT industry gave up on me when I was over 50, the dotcom bubble burst - there were no jobs. I did 3 years at night school doing City & Guilds and worked "on the tools" during the day. Been sparking ever since.

The scary bit is earning enough to keep yourself ticking along, while you pick up the nouse and practical skills. But you can do it.

PS. If you look around, there are job/training opportunities. Energy Northwest for instance, recruit a pile of Trainee Engineers every year. Have a look at their website - the 'careers' tab.

My oldest apprentice was 37 when he started at the firm I worked for. I was 23 at the time and he was one of the best apprentices I ever had working under me.

He was never late, he actually wanted to learn the job. He didn't spend all day on his phone and he could talk to customers.

He now runs his own company and has just trained his first apprentice. He even employs me from time to time when he's really busy or I'm a bit quiet!

Age really isn't a barrier.

If you can find a good local medium sized company you should do ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back