Becoming an electrician - advice?

all of those say he must have done an Apprenticeship.

So there'll only be about 20 new Electricians a year, then?

Sponsored Links
I find it hard to believe (thats just me though) that anyone could train to become an electrician and become self-employed within 2.5 years!

I started in 2003 I now own a limited company and I'm making a reasonablre living at it.

I'm a qualified electrical engineer and I went on to study physics in my 20's.

I was made redundant in my 50's and went straight into being self employed.

It hasn't been easy - but then any one can do easy!!

I guess if I'd had committments like a wife and kids it might have been more difficult but the former left and the latter have grown up.

The 1st year of going alone was hell but I'm still trading.

Thanks so much for all your advice, encouragement and warnings. I plan to start night classes next month and a friend of a friend of a ... is hoping to line me up with a bit of shadowing. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Just to reply to a few points:

Breezer - yes the drop in salary to start with was the hardest part. Luckily I had some savings and Mr Sparkybird was in employment, so we managed.

Ricicle - are you saying I'm not an electrician, then? :confused: I studied and worked hard for this, and didn't do it to be rubbished by you!

SB

sparkybird said:
Ricicle - are you saying I'm not an electrician, then? :confused: I studied and worked hard for this, and didn't do it to be rubbished by you!

SB

No, I'm not rubbishing you, please accept my apologies if it came across that way.I just find it hard to believe that anyone could gain the necessary skills/experience in just 2.5 years to go it alone in the electrical trade albeit you did say you only do domestic so then fair play to you.

ricicle

Apology accepted!

Obviously we're all still learning (but I like that!). I know my limits and will not do work I don't feel comfortable with. I also have a great support network, in particular my old 'boss' who was a great teacher and who I can talk over problems with. I worked as in 'management' for a long time, so the paperwork/it/accounting/client relations bit comes quite easily.

I did the studying in the minimum time possible by doing several courses concurrently and applying for Part P as soon as I could.

However, what previous posters have said is true, I don't want to be house bashing when I'm 50, so will look into teaching as a possible exit route. That's a way off yet though!

SB ;)

I'm not far away from 60 and in my former life was an electronics fitter working on quite complex high voltage and high power equipments, before I got sidetracked with the computer era.

I have a friend who is around the same age who does PATS testing and quite enjoys it. I have a need to find work before my pension and so I am studying hard to qualify as an electrician and/or PATS tester. Sure it may be hard work but not everyone has an easy life forever. I'm willing to have a go as I'm reasonable fit.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have completely wired a couple of houses here in France over the last four years.

I am doing the OLCI course in London and will be going on a 3 day workshop this week which will help me get on the road to obtaining the C+G 2330 (both parts) in about a year.
Their web site is www.olci.co.uk

Could be a much quicker way to obtain the 2330!! although you will have to do some practical work to get NVQ's two and three.

ricicle said:
I find it hard to believe (thats just me though) that anyone could train to become an electrician and become self-employed within 2.5 years!

There are plenty out there. Mature learners take a lot less time than kids and already have the interpersonal skills and motivation to do it right.

I used to find it hard to believe that a large proportion of full apprenticeship-trained electricians (the ones who bash on and on about being 'proper' sparks) are incompetent by definition (EAWR 1989, Reg 16). But now I accept it as the norm.

I am currently employed as an educator but fear a future job loss. I have taught elementary school for the past 10 years but have recently married an electrician who is considering going into business for himself.

Since I am looking at possibly being unemployed as a teacher in the future and have enjoyed going out on electrical jobs and being my husbands side kick (apprentice) I am deciding to go ahead and seriously study for an electrical license and work with my husband.

We make a good team, I enjoy (so far) the work. Have looked into the pay and looks like (sad to say) I would make the same as a beginning apprentice as I do currently with 6 years of college and 10 years as a full time teacher.

What do you think? Is my future brighter in the electrical world because the educational field is very frustrating and bleak right now.

I think that people here won't be able to comment on the job market, economic situation, regulatory impositions, the aspects of owning and running your own business etc, in a foreign country.

Try a US forum.....

Ok as a scientist you would probably have done lots of research in the past, this is where you should start,Grap the Yellow Pages for your area,Look up the electrical companys is there loads, Phone 3 of what looks like the biggest and ask if they are hiring then phone 3 of the small one line companys ask the same question,Tell them your have no experienc as you have just finished college and would they take you on as a sparks mate, you will find out the lay of the land, The rest is up to you. worked for me when I finished my refrigeration course, in fact I worked for free for 2 months I got a bung at the end of the week though
DM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back