How To Be An Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I have decided i want to become a mains electrician, and i was wondering which way i have to go about it. I am 26 with a family so i would need to do it all whilst still doing my present job- I am a time served auto electrician so you could say i have a bit of prior knowlege to electrics, and before i was an auto sparky i was at college for a year doing basic electical (nvq).
Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Adam , Hull.

Sponsored Links
try contacting a company called technique training they offer an advanced crash course which is fairly expensive but it will get you the qualifications that you need check out the web site www.techniquetraining.co.uk

All you need is a terminal screwdriver and a pair of pliers and a coin (to use with pliers to undo larger screws that are too big for terminal driver) at least thats all the sparks I work with use. That's why I don't ask their advice and ask people on this forum. :D

WSDLTD said:
try contacting a company called technique training they offer an advanced crash course which is fairly expensive but it will get you the qualifications that you need check out the web site www.techniquetraining.co.uk

PLEASE NOTE:

The information supplied in based on information collated at the time of going to press 23/12/04.

This document is not intended to be definitive; it is however intended to be an unbiased guide aimed at demystifying a very cloudy issue.

That has got to be the worst training site I have ever seen. Above is a quote from their Part P training section.

Sponsored Links
seriously there are a few routes,

an apprentiship is one way but they can be quite hard to get

collage (get the main city and guilds electricians course plus the inspection and testing course, unfortunately they keep renumbering them so i can't give you current course numbers) followed by independent housebashing to build up experiance (you may have to notify the first couple of big jobs to building control to get into one of the self cert schemes) is probablly the easiest way in from what i can gather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back