Bedded shower tray - slight give in corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have just bedded a shower tray - oo-er - using a fairly dry mortar. The mortar has now set - its been 48 hours. In one corner of the tray there is a little bit of give if I stand on it. Can anyone tell me what I might be able to do about this. It seems its right on the corner/edge so I am thinking I can probably 'pipe' something in under the tray. Its not much give - and im quite heavy - but enough to be annoying if you've done the work and its not gone completely right.

Sponsored Links
Maybe worth getting some Rawlplug R-KEM 11 styrene resin from Screwfix- carefully drill a hole into the mortar from the side of the tray - and pump the resin in - uses a standard mastic gun.

I have a similar problem except in my case its the floor that is moving down with the shower tray on it while the walls do not move. If you don't cure this the grouting somewhere at the bottom of the wall tiles will crack and let the water get out! I used one of those cr*p*y Mira plastic shower trays. Right from the start it was obvious that it was flexible, so the tray had a bit of chipboard put in to support the flat area where you stand and 1" thick wood to support the raised edges so the whole of the shower tray was adequately supported, then this assembly was then supported of 3" high planks to allow the plumbing to be above the old floorboard level.
Thinking about this, dunno why I did not figure it out at the time, when its time for tiling, pre-load the shower tray by jamming a piece of wood between your ceiling and the shower tray (with suitable protection for both). This way the shower tray will always be trying to push itself upwards against the grouting, hopefully keeping a watertight seal.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back