bedding in shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am working on a bathroom and just about coming up to bedding the quadrant tray onto a 18mm WBP ply plinth but need some guidance.

I believe you use building sand as opposed to any other is that correct?

Lay about about 1/2" or so bed, is that right?

What mix do you use as I have often read they use a weak mix?

The tray is only about 10mm thick round the edges and I have decided to make the plinth 10mm bigger for support, does the bedding have to come out to the edge of the tray as I would have thought this part of the tray would easily break/crack the bedding or does it just go under the main part? (It is the typical shape underneath with a sort of hollow space behind the walls of the tray.)?

The trap I have is one of those shallow depth ones and basically looks very fat and squatt so I it looks like you have to make a fairly big hole to accomodate this in the ply, as it sits tight against the tray, is that correct or am I missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The tray is only about 10mm thick round the edges and I have decided to make the plinth 10mm bigger for support

don't make the base larger than the tray as this may cause trouble when exiting the shower, regarding footfall.

everything else sounds ok.

you can bring the bedding material to the front of the base then wipe it clean with a wetted paintbrush. 20mm building sand/cement bed is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back