Bedding steel beams onto masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a steal beam for a large garage opening (approx. 5.2m span). The brickwork is single skin (215mm wide) and the beam will have a shelfplate. In the general notes from the SE docs it says that the beams should be "bedded onto a dry/level mortar bed".

I've never seen a beam on a mortar bed, but as my bricks are banana shaped, I think it would be a disaster if the was no bed of mortar as there would only be a few tiny points of contact. I'm wondering how this bed is done. Is it a dry mix (i.e. minimal water so that it doesn't crumble) and then is it like screeding a thin (1mm) bed over the bricks before placing the steel on it?

Sponsored Links
Build up in new brick plus padstone and mortar on top, like this guy

Blup

I don't want a padstone as it'll look awful on the outside

If its a single skin but 215mm overall width, maybe some space to clad with brick or your chosen finish.

Blup

Sponsored Links
If its a single skin but 215mm overall width, maybe some space to clad with brick or your chosen finish.

Blup
I really want to do what is in the SE design, partly because I've already built everything up to the steel height. I don't want to knock it all down and start again. It's flush with the existing house, so cladding would make it stick out

The mix shouldn't be too dry, you have to be able to trowel and bed it, so as thick as will take out the curve in the brick, and offer a flat mortar bed for the lintel.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back