Bedec Multi Surface Paint? Is it as good as they say?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am just past my first year in business as a painter and decorator, trained on the job, but have little experience of a variety paint products as the ones we have used don't change much.

I am about to do a job on my own, making grotty bungalow to a rentable state. Hasn't been decorated for more than 10 years or 15 even!

I have been told that Bedec MSP is a best seller in my local suppliers and that you can gloss 2 coats without undercoat. Really? Is this a time saving product do you think?

I am wondering about the gloss shine and how it compares to other water based gloss paints, is it the same or shinier or more dull? The client is not really bothered, she just wants it presentable.

Is it the same to work with as other waterbased gloss's?

Any opinions on the product would be greatly appreciated. :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
I havn't used the msp but have used the barn paint on exterior apps. Its not that great at levelling out and the result is its a bit quite stringy. The msp could be different but my choice for WB gloss is Johnstones aqua. I've got a tin of the reformulated to use so it will be interesting what its like, last time i used it it was fine on architraves but broader areas get stringy, hopefully it will be a bit easier now. Its worth noting that when i used it i u/c'd with sikkens BL and from what i've read its a better finish with the Jonnos u/c which i have just applied to a flush door ready for glossing shortly.

So to answer your question not needing an undercoat is a bonus but remember u/c helps to obliterate the surface and cover minor surface defects as well as providing a suitable surface for a finish coat, skipping an u/c can mean an extra finish coat, you'll have to try the stuff out. The gloss level will not be as high as an oil based, for example the mythic is awful, it looks like a satin finish but the Jonnos aqua is a good gloss level but again not as good as oil based.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences

Actually I remembered I had a little sample of msp from the national p&d show last year - i just tried a small amount and it is exactly as you say - you can still see the brushstrokes quite a bit and doesn't seem to level out as much as the crown I have been using.

Sponsored Links
I have used MSP several times on old weathered exterior timber, it is extremely durable and resists cracking and flaking even on surfaces with sun exposure, I wouldn’t use anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back