Bedroom door handle question, help please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks back... As I was trying to get out of my room, the door was locked on the inside and, in a half-asleep 3am daze didn't realise, just thought I hadn't pushed the handle down far enough, so pulled harder and the bloody thing came off in my hand.

Went to the hardware store the next day, got some slightly bigger screws, which seemed to be gripping well and the handle seemed to be fitted good as new. However, its slackened off again today.

Would some 'no more nails', or amusingly-named 'sticks like sh*t' do the job to fit the handle in place? and then re-fit the screws into the holes without over tightening.

I'm a student and living in student accommodation so want to sort it as cheaply and hassle free as possible.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it a cheap hollow door? you could try a few timber pegs made from slivers of timber tapped into the holes to renew, glue not an option.
A new handle might be the answer, type which is secured to spindle thru the door that way when you pull on the door you pull against the outer handle not against the door timber.Failing that double ended screws which secure both inner and outer handles together.

Amended for accuracy,

A few weeks back... As I was trying to get out of my room, the door was locked on the inside as the weed makes me so paranoid and, in a drunken state I had to rush to the bog to throw up at 3am and in a bit of a daze didn't realise, just thought I hadn't pushed the handle down far enough, I may have been so drunk I thought it was my knob so pulled harder and harder and the bloody thing came off in my hand.

Went to the Wilkinson's a few days later when I realised the landlord was due for a visit, got some slightly bigger screws and hammered them in which seemed to be gripping well and the handle seemed to be fitted good as new. However, whilst swinging on the door handle again its slackened off again today.

Would some 'no more nails', or amusingly-named 'sticks like sh*t' do the job to fit the handle in place? and then bang the screws back into the holes.

I'm a student and living in student accommodation so want to sort it as cheaply and hassle free as possible as I spend all my parents allowance on booze and fags.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back