Bedroom Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Wonder if you can help? Had extension last year and builder has put down 18mm chipboard flooring in bedroom. This floor is terrible, it creaks and cracks and I mean cracks!! It is a nightmare, wake everyone up when walk on it at night. Builder has been back out a couple of times to screw down etc. but has just made it worse. He says floorboards would be worse but i'm not so sure. It's driving me mad. Any tips??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I never use woodchip for that very reason but there are a few posts on here if you delve into the archives that offer some good suggestions about your problem. i've read a few not too long ago so they are there. If your patient, someone will come up with the answer soon enough..

One thing that worries me is if the builder has been back and screwed the panels down it obviously should have improved things, so i'm wondering if the joists are adequate. you can put as many screws into the boards as you like but if the joists arn't to spec it will always creak. Did you get a building reg's approval certificate ?

And no, floorboards would have been much better btw

Wish I'd had a pound for every one of the chipboard floor panels I've had to rip out in the past. IMHO they are the pants. I know their quick and easy to install on new builds but I've never really liked them. They do tend to squeak and creak, Never had a problem with traditional floorboards.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks guys
Did get the certificate. Think will get floorboards down and hope there are no other faults!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back