Bedroom light mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I have changed the master bedroom light fitting with a four spot light fitting.
Took the usual safety precautions whilst installing and all seemed to be fine.
With in the ceiling rose I took down were 3 lives, 3 neutral 3 earth and a switch wire.
My problem?

When I turn bedroom light on and off all works well until i noticed it is also turning one of the other bedroom lights on and off also. Wtf?

Is this an earth issue or have I joined the wrong live in with the switch?
Or could it be something other?

Please any advise will be appreciated. cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have connected the live that goes to the next room into the switch live terminal, instead of the permanent live terminal.

Tells us what cables you have, and what wires from them go where.

Pictures, even better.

Not wishing to state the beedin obvious, but always make a note of which bits of wire went in which connector on the original. That way you can either reconnect to a similar rose, or tell the experts on here (not me) where they were and hence be told where they SHOULD go.

Sponsored Links
With in the ceiling rose I took down were 3 lives, 3 neutral 3 earth and a switch wire.
So 3 twin & earth cables and a separate single one?

When I turn bedroom light on and off all works well until i noticed it is also turning one of the other bedroom lights on and off also.
Can you still control that light from its own switch as well?

Thanks for all the replies. :eek:

I had a look on the internet at a picture of the inside of a ceiling rose and my stupid mistake jumped out and slapped me.

I had indeed put 1 of the live wires that were supposed to be in the loop to the switch. Although quite amusing I have changed it over and all is well now.

Learned a lesson there. should have noted down where each wire went before taking rose apart.

Again thanks for everyones input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back