Bedroom Light Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently both ceiling lights in the two back bedrooms have gone out. I eventually got round to replacing the bulbs only to find it wasn't the bulbs. For some reason there appears to be a problem with the mains supply to the lighting in those two rooms. All other upstairs lights are working fine. :confused:

Any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
If I know him well, you need to ask that badger fellow... ;)

But seriously, have you altered any fittings or switches recently?

Maybe there is a loose connection on the live loop or neutrals?

That's the strange thing I haven't done anything with the electricity for a while.

If it is a loose connection would that mean it must be before the 2nd bedroom, given it's affecting the third bedroom too? Is that how the upstairs ring circuit would work? Just trying to understand where I need to start looking?

Call a spark in if you don't have a clue with wiring and electrical matters.

If you feel confident, start with a quick visual inspection (for vermin, nesting, damp, water, board, storage problems) via loft and torch.

After that it's out with a meter and checking supply voltage at each ceiling rose or junction box.

Simple circuit diagrams are on the site Wiki, they break down the types of lighting wiring and are very clear to read and work with.

Sponsored Links
Lights aren't normally wired as a ring, they are often radial.
The fault could be in the ceiling rose of either of the bedrooms depending on which is first in the wiring, it could also be in the fitting next up the line which is still working.
Before poking about inside any electrical enclosure, turn off the electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back