Been asked day rate and hourly rate for work on flats?

This thread is over 5 years old.
Possibly the op has increased his rates...

Sponsored Links
oh dear , oh yes .THANKS ..... should have looked closer

I did think the rate was very low for these days - but didn't mention .......

Shame the OP did not reply and say what he decided on doing .... and if he actually got the work....

My commute to work is an hour each way and no one pays me for it.

Most of my work is about 7 miles from where I live. I expect my average journey to be 45-60 mins each way. I only charge for travelling time if someone wants me to turn up for an hour or two. Even then, I normally only charge for one leg given that I am going to go on to my other customer after.

Sponsored Links
I'm honestly gobsmacked when I see that people pay hourly rate.
I never pay hourly rate or would expect an hourly rate.
Price work. Always.
Hourly rate is a scammers calling card - yet still see plenty of people doing it and being caught out by it - even in 2023.

I have a regular customer in Barnes. If I am their house for 8 hours one day and 4 the next, I invoice them by the hour. That said, I take my regular day rate and apply it pro-rata. It is a 3 hour round journey, and there have been times when I only invoiced them for 2 hours labour on a given day.

Friends however have pointed out that I will spend hours in the pub trying to source discontinued products for customers at no cost. I may spend 2 hours finding a product and then order it, then only charge for the time to fit it.

An electrician I use charges an hourly rate say for fault finding, minimum one hour, perfectly reasonable way of doing business. Another sparkie I used for smaller one off jobs says just give me £20, I imagine it is his way of loss leading for the bigger jobs that might come his way.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Blup

I have a regular customer in Barnes. If I am their house for 8 hours one day and 4 the next, I invoice them by the hour. That said, I take my regular day rate and apply it pro-rata. It is a 3 hour round journey, and there have been times when I only invoiced them for 2 hours labour on a given day.

Friends however have pointed out that I will spend hours in the pub trying to source discontinued products for customers at no cost. I may spend 2 hours finding a product and then order it, then only charge for the time to fit it.

Good work if you can get it and you're honest.

Good work if you can get it and you're honest.

I use my Google time line to remind me how long I was on site. If the customer ever asked for proof, I would show them, and then, because of a lack of trust (on the customer's behalf), I would never work for them again.. or I would inflate my future hourly/daily rate.

I would never knowingly be dishonest with a customer. I may from time to time round up 55 mins to an hour, but other times, I will round down 45mins to half an hour.

I am self employed, I have never advertised. My reputation is worth far more than ripping a customer off by an hour or two. Reputation aside, I don't want to rip any one off, equally, I don't want to be ripped off by anyone else.

Sponsored Links
Back