beep beep reversing bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i was looking to know i have replaced my reversing bulb. for a all ride beep beep bulb. on my year 2000 nissan primera 18s the bulb will light ok but no beep beep sound.

i have replaced the all ride beep bulb 3 times still the same when i test it on a 9 v battery it will work ok.

would any one know what the problum would be thanks. fuse

Sponsored Links
Does an ordinary 21 watt bulb work OK in the reversing light?

Maybe you cant hear the sound with the bulb in the light unit?

I don't know the problem but I'm fairly sure that a reversing horn / beeper isn't or at least wasn't legal on vehicals under three and a half tons.

Sponsored Links
I don't know the problem but I'm fairly sure that a reversing horn / beeper isn't or at least wasn't legal on vehicals under three and a half tons.

Isn't it a legal requirement if you are towing? Every tow car I've been in has beeping when put in reverse.

thanks guys for the reply the light part is ok when you are putting the bulb in you can here it making a attemt to go a slight crackle it will go on a 9 v battery what you think thank fuse

I've had a look and it seems that they are legal only on a goods vehical having a minimum weight of 2000kgs, buses and plant and thus illegal on private cars.
http://www.transportsfriend.org/road/cab.html
Look at the bottom end of this link.
As to why? posed by Mursal it seems the reason may be simply that cars are generally parked in residential areas and the continious noise from cars would disturb residents especially at unsocialbl times such as five in the morning.
By the way I got the link from a police forum -
http://www.police999.com/forum/index.php?topic=7745.0

Ah, you know what, I'm getting myself confused. It's the indicators that are audible on car trailers I think.

I think you're right PJ , I get the silly beeping noise in my transit when the trailor is on , and I can't in truth see the point :rolleyes:

I think you're right PJ , I get the silly beeping noise in my transit when the trailor is on , and I can't in truth see the point :rolleyes:

The point of it is; it's there to let you know that the indicator light on the trailer is working. It should only beep when the trailer is connected and the indicator is working.

check the polarity on your socket, it should be cap +ve, I had a similar issue recently changing a filament lamp to an LED one in my high level light.
obviously a filament lamp doesnt care about polarity, but a buzzer/LED does.

IIRC from my minibus test, a reverse beeper should also have an isolator fitted, and shpould not be used between 11pm and 7am, the same as your horn, if required, a banksman should be used instead.

thanks for your replys no it is 12v the same as the bulb that i am replacing it with. and the polarity is the same as the bulb. if the are not legal why are the being sold.

if some one did not see you reversing the could here you say a child sitting behind your car. you can here it making a slight crackle when you take it out and put it back in.fuse :)

there are many things sold for cars that shouldnt be used on the road...

blue headlamps any one??? coloured neons, fancy graphic number plates, musical air horns, the list is endless, its not illegal to have most of the stuff, and in most cases not illegal to have it on your car, it only becomes so when you use it on the road.

you may/may not get done for it (I would be surprised if a beep reverse bulb would get you in trouble, depending on the volume) thats up to you, I do know of a local supermarket, ina not particularly residential area who have been fined for their trucks using reverse beepers at night.

Sponsored Links
Back