Bees in Eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've noticed bumble bees going into a small hole in my eave at the corner and also looks like smaller honey bees, not wasp colour more orange than yellow. My question is how do I get rid of them without killing as I know they are important to the eco system.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You should leave them bee.They don't cause any harm if left alone.

In the autumn, a bee collector can remove the nest if they are honey bees, or a pest controller can relocate the nest if other bees.

• Thanks
Reactions: sz1
you mean leave them and let them keep going into eve? wont they go into loft too, so what you are saying is don't seal up crack and live with them? do bumble fatter bees live with the smaller orange ones, they are both using same crack, the bumble bees are hovering outside the eve and the hunny orange ones are in and out and don't hover.?

You could contact your council for help, our local council does not deal with bees but have contact details for local bee keepers, who can advise you

They usually will not take away bumble bees but will honey bees, they can certainly confirm what you are dealing with.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
See if you can live with it just for this summer, wait till the winter and then block up the hole. They shouldn't really do any damage and the nest generally just turns into a lightweight papery thing. Sometimes the fat dudes and the thin dudes share the same nest but they are actually a separate thing.

• Thanks
Thanks man yeah I can do that if they don't damage anything, assuming I wont see them in the actual loft part if they climb over the bricks in the eves into the loft.

I'm all for eco warriors that they are and will leave be as you say if its ok, I'm working around there at the mo building a wall, and they be giving me the eye also my dog assists me so don't want her getting attacked...which is my concern...

it looks like the fat dudes are the soldiers outside mostly buzzing around the entrance.

How many can I expect to see, I don't want a swarm with me and the dog working in that area?

ta

Usually one going in and out every 5 seconds means it's probably about as big as about one of those funny oversized tennis ball size nest. If they are flying around queuing to get in then go basketball size!

Bees don't really sting much to be honest. They are like posh folk who just want to get on with things and not cause a stir. Wasps on the other hand are like angry Brummies from Handsworth.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Just a tip if you do get stung bees (who will only sting if really P****d off) leave the sting in (the bee dies) it has a small venom sack attached to the top which continues to pump venom into the victim, do not grip and pull it that injects more venom, slip your nail or a thin blade under the sack and scrape the sting out in he reverse direction to the entry.

Hope you don't need the info! ;) ;)

We had two bee hives in out eaves last year. One at the front, one at the side.

It was never a problem. Their hive was right in the eave of the roof so they hardly ever went into the actual loft space (ours is un-converted).

Once or twice we found a bee had somehow made its way inside. No more than any other summer though....

As autumn / winter set in, they left...

With a torch, I could actually see the hive from inside the loft. A very impressive little structure.

Bees are in decline, they should do no damage.

Leave them BEE!

Bees are awesome; ours left of their own accord, but they didn't bother us. Might have been a different story if we'd waved our arms around and shrieked like girls.

I saw a neighbour cut down an active wasp nest in his garden with some tree loppers. That was a sight to behold - those wasps take no ****.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back