before requesting Building Control inspection... new doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I have recently created a new doorway in a loadbearing wall, installing a pcc lintel above the opening ensuring a 150mm (well, actually more like 180mm) bearing on each side.

I am just wanting to check how much further i should go before arranging to have BC inspect to hopefully give their sign off/approval. This is the first time i have undertaken a task like this, so I am a little unsure of my readiness.

Several of the half bricks on the left hand side of the new opening have come loose during the knockout of the doorway and I have a bit of 'trimming' to do to get the sides as plumb as possible before I can install the door lining/frame etc.

Should I ensure all the brickwork is rebedded and secure before requesting the inspection and do I need to have finished the remaining chiselling out of the slightly proud edges?

Is repointing likely to be sufficient to secure the half bricks back in place or is it worth having the right out, cleaning them up and properly resetting them?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions (other than the very messy angle grinder) for neatly trimming up the remaining proud edges I'd be pleased to hear them.

Couple of pics below to illustrate

Cheers
Alp

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Rather unlucky with the bond there!

Anyhoo, we would just chisel out any loose brick and mortar back in.

Use mortar to gob-up any holes.

Always give the masonry a good damping down before re-fettling.

We often cut the masonry opening a couple of inches bigger than needed, then make good the brick-work as best as poss, then dab some plasterboard up each side then fix the door casing to these nice true plasterboard reveals.

This way, even if you don't get a good mechanical fixing, good ole foam will do the trick.

B.C. will be happy to see the end-bearings and won't be that bothered about the masonry below. Just be sure to point up the brickwork above and the lintel joint.

Don't forget that the down force will be spread out as it goes down meaning that masonry further in will take up some of the rather minimal load.

The remaining brick pier looks a bit slender (what is on the left-hand side?). The brickwork also looks poor, particularly near the bottom. Although the pics don't show the pcc lintel, your figure for the bearing length is fine, but there seem to be a lot of half-bricks looking a bit precarious. Personally, I would be inclined to bite the bullet, prop the lintel and re-build it properly. There looks to be a door on the other side; if so, you have a relatively slender pier supporting what may be considerable weight.

thanks guys. Obviously i'd really rather not have to rebuild the whole left hand pier, but just patch up the half bricks so they are good and solid.

Photo below showing other side and lintel etc

IMAG0060.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like you have made a pretty good job of it. Just tidy up the bottom and it's ready for the BCO.

Your last pics show it better. I was concerned about what was on the left-hand side of the opening; if it was a door-height opening (instead of a window) you woud have had a slender pier. As it is, you will get some load distribution at the bottom,into the brickwork below the window. Just mortar-in those at the bottom to make sure. Suggest fixing the frame with expanding foam.

Yeah... the skirting. Moved the rad for the doorway and didn't remember to take the skirting off... Biggest faux pas of the project to date. Will have to have the rad off again to do so, which I am avoiding as I hate having to drain down the system and play with the pipework. Ho hum. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back