Before the possible Combi Arrives

Agile said:
gas4you said:
what a load of s***. where does your mother live with with 0.5km of pipe, Buckingham Palace. :LOL: if it is this long then it has been installed under sized or do you not know this :rolleyes:

I dont understand why you think it necessary to make such a rude and agressive posting. As it was on a Saturday evening I hope that you were drunk and acting out of character.

This is in the countryside on the edge of a village in Cornwall. The house was supplied from a well but they decided to have the mains water main added when mains water was extended along the lane. Someone laid the 1/2" pipe from the lane to the house about 30 years ago and obviously it was undersized but much of the problem may be because the number of houses on the lane has doubled and old ones been uprated so its probably quite inadequate even at the lane 0.5 km away.

The house was built in 1931 with a flat roof and had a large steel tank with a float valve only half way up. The rain water from the roof went into the tank and if the level fell below the valve then the pumped well filled it halfway. The pumped well was disconnected when the mains water became available.

Tony

I took a great exception to the fact that you were implying to the op that I did not or was not interested in getting a proper answer to his dilemma or that I was not veiwing his problem professionally as it would not be me who would be wasting the £1000 for a new boiler :eek: If you had read all my previous posts how could you have come to this conclusion :confused: You cannot compare an obviously faulty installation with one that the op is trying to get correct first time :!:

I in fact had assumed it was you who had been drinking as in my opinion it was your post that gave no real relevance or help on a Saturday evening.

Sponsored Links
lsearson said:
i have measured the flowrate now from the kitchen tap, and that delivers a good 21 litres per minute so a lot greater than the 14.5 letres per minute i get on the 3rd floor

ive also checked my gas pipes and they are 3/4"

21 li/min will be fine for a combi boiler.

Unless the boiler will be within a very short distance from the gas meter if you are having a larger boiler than 24 kW then the internal gas pipe size will almost certainly have to be uprated.

Tony

lsearson said:
i have measured the flowrate now from the kitchen tap, and that delivers a good 21 litres per minute so a lot greater than the 14.5 letres per minute i get on the 3rd floor

ive also checked my gas pipes and they are 3/4"

With out getting you to do any full calculations, I never install more than 12m of 22mm pipe for gas on these boilers. That is 12M equivalent length ie elbows & 'T's' count as 0.5 M. Any doubts or longer than this make up difference with 28mm.

with calculating the elbows, the boiler will be about 9 meters away from the gas metre and all pipe is 3/4" and i intend on installing a 37kw boiler, am i fine

Sponsored Links
If the 3/4" is supplying just the combi then yes as long as your CORGI checks pressure drop between meter and appliance upon commissioning and it is no more than 1mb when hot taps on full. ;) If other appliances are off this gas pipe then it is doubtful, would then need proper calculation

gas4u,

when you say doubtfull, do you mean the gaspipes need to be a larger size, or the boiler needs to be closer the meter

If you have other appliances coming off the 3/4 pipe then you would probably need to increase pipe to 28mm to supply enough gas to all when 837 is in hot water mode. In hot water mode 837 uses 4m/3 per hr gas. ;)

gas 4 u,

i have chased the gaspipe back to the meter and i feel, if i need to get someone to run another pipe in it shouldnt be too much of a problem, i know where im going to install it now, and i feel with all the help you have given me it has taken a large weight off my shoulders, thank you ever so much for you help, over the weekend, once its installed (without problems, fingers crossed) i will let you know

thanks again,

p.s also thank you tony for all your comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back