How do I calculate annual cost savings for replacement combi

savings can be made with controls, and if you are going to change the boiler it is pointless not to do them as well...cases of up grading from on-off controls to compensation controls on condensing boilers have shown savings of 10-15%.

Of course we are talking about energy saving something very difficult to measure as there are a vast amounts of variables.

Perhaps I should have a word with the baker, and fit OT in January to see how much additional savings I make in 2012.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.

Some of you are saying that savings are possible by upgrading the "controls". Please can someone explain this to me as I would also like to do this.

Does controls refer to the "timer"? A this moment I have a Honeywell timer hardwired to the boiler and also hard wired to a dial thermostat in the dining room.

However we dont really use the timer. We just leave the heating on 24/7 with the thermostat set at 17degC. And if we are feeling cold turn is up for an hour or so.

Thanks!

However we dont really use the timer. We just leave the heating on 24/7 with the thermostat set at 17degC. And if we are feeling cold turn is up for an hour or so.
So you run your heating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Are you at home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

compebsation controls look at how much heat is needed in the house, by measuring the programmed room temperaure and the actual room temperature...

for example if you set the sensor to 21c and the temp falls to 18, the radiators get very hot, if the temp drops to 20.5c the rads are not as hot...

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Until very recently (start of cold snap), 17degc on the dial is basically off for the CH! I think maybe once or twice it came on at 4am. Also we have a very young baby and the Wife is paranoid the nursery will freeze unless we do it this way (ie CH on, thermostat on low).

The house always feels warm, I guess this is becos we are mid-terraced.

Cheers

compenation controls?

i have never heard of these. my honeywell timer is ancient.

can you please tell me what i need to buy and i will get the kit!!!

is this related on "wireless controls"? i thought this was just a timer without the hardwiring!

thanks

There's lots of stuff on the market but until you change the boiler for an all singing dancing bus enabled model, you really will be wasting your money, ok maybe a few quid a year saving.

Look at the Atmos-Intergas combis for best boilers that play the right tunes.

Approved installers such as Dan Robinson can give you a 5 year warranty

There are timers and there are programmable thermostats....

As for freezing babies... Babies run hot naturally... they invariably get overheating once they are tucked up in their cots.

I had to "nobble" our thermostat so that it read higher than the true temperature...

Honeywell CM range has a +- offset of 3 degrees :cool:

cheers

one thing is clear, i have a lot of reading up to do to work out if i need to also replace the controls along with the boiler!

the commonly available compensation controllers are the broag remeha i sense and the vaillant 392 programmable stat.

if the house is particularly big then weather compenstion can be considered...

cheers

one thing is clear, i have a lot of reading up to do to work out if i need to also replace the controls along with the boiler!

If and when you change the boiler then certainly that is the best time to upgrade all the controls to maximise the savings.

Probably get an ear bashing in the CC for saying that. :rolleyes:

Cheers

No I will def upgrade the boiler and have pretty much decided on Glow-Worm-Betacom-28A combi

Amongst other things it's £551 inc vat!

I would ask the experts opinion first, and add £3-400.

Only Glowworm I hear good things about is the Gold.

glow worm climapro is a compensating controller...pretty similar to the 392 from vaillant...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back