Obsolete return pipe for Glow worm boiler

Thanks, Hugh. I am lucky enough to have stumbled across a lovely engineer who worked 20 years for Glowworm, and recalls this particular model! I am waiting for him to check his stash of parts, see if we get lucky. I am hoping one way or another he can repair it , at least long enough that if a new boiler is the only option it can be installed in the summer rather than now.

Sponsored Links
142695553764 - search for this eBay listing, it could help.

Thank you cdbe, that could very well be useful! I have enquired of the seller, waiting to see what the bundle actually includes.

Hello

Thank you all for your advice and support, I appreciate it.

The Glowworm engineer came to look at the boiler today, and just as well he did, as the return pipe is the least of our worries. The boiler is leaking carbon monoxide and appears to have been doing so for an extended period (years). The engineer is submitting a RIDDOR report this afternoon, and returning tomorrow to install a new boiler.

I am (almost) beyond words. Before her recent ill health mum had her sewing machine in that room and spent extended periods there. What an absolutely scandalous failure in duty of care by British Gas.

Mysha

Sponsored Links
No doubt HSE will inform them. I wonder whether her recent illness is down to CO poisoning? @Mysha has she been tested for CO?

Was CO leaking into the room? Was there a case seal failure? Jumping to conclusions. Leaking for years? my arris. BG can't supply the part, and as yet neither can anyone else reading the post, but of course BG are the one's to blame for all this. Get real.

No doubt HSE will inform them. I wonder whether her recent illness is down to CO poisoning? @Mysha has she been tested for CO?

HSE won't be talking to anyone.
Especially as the "evidence" us being ripped out tomorrow.

Request a vista by a gas safe inspector before the boiler is removed! !!! You might get some money back and BG might get done ....Once the boilers out the evidence has gone as the fireman had said

Request a vista by a gas safe inspector before the boiler is removed! !!! You might get some money back and BG might get done ....Once the boilers out the evidence has gone as the fireman had said

Good post, advise should be taken.
Pity hard soldering or brazing is not carried out in domestic heating industry.
Have looked at the manual for the boiler. Would be interested in how CO is being emitted by the boiler. Is the flue detached? Is the inner duct venting into the room ( cannot see how)?

Outer flue pulls air into the boiler, boiler chamber is at negative pressure so cannot leak gases into the room. Inner tube expels flue products to outside. If flue was detached from boiler, can see 'bad' gases contaminating clean air in the room.

Above are my thoughts based on similar CO flags that get pulled out by some. Not saying that is what is happening here but wondering as information is missing as to why RIDDOR issued

Last edited:
The Glowworm engineer came to look at the boiler today, and just as well he did, as the return pipe is the least of our worries. The boiler is leaking carbon monoxide and appears to have been doing so for an extended period (years). The engineer is submitting a RIDDOR report this afternoon, and returning tomorrow to install a new boiler.

@Mysha, I assume the Glowworm chap has considered it ID, shut down and disconnected the boiler and issued a warning notice to you? If so would you be able to post a pic of the report?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back