Glow-worm Space Saver 50 MkII boiler casing seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know these seals are obsolete now but does anybody know where I might get one (aside from through ebay)? Are there any other seals that might be suitable to use instead - e.g. any other Glow-worm seals (from other Space Saver models, etc)?

Failing that, is there any chance I could get a new one manufactured if I got the seal specification? I've seen another forum post where someone talked about getting obsolete boiler parts manufactured so it might be possible.

Sponsored Links
sorry but you will not get the advice that you are looking for as its a safety critical part of your boiler and the site rules prevent us from telling you the solution

You mean I'm not allowed to ask any questions on this forum about boiler casing seals, right? How strange.

In that case, do you know of any forums where I could post the question and get some helpful information in response?

As Ian has pointed out, the rule is there to discourage DIY repairs to safety critical parts of gas boilers. I would encourage you to employ a pro who will give you the correct advice.

Sponsored Links
But why would you think I've any intention of carrying out a DIY repair of my boiler? All I did was ask for advice about obtaining the seals. If I was to get them I would then contact an engineer to fit them.

I cannot see anything in my post which would suggest any intention of breaking the laws/rules about gas boilers.

This is a diy website...

Many on here would have no problem carrying out gas work...they don't know their limitations.

You mentioned using seals from other Glowworms..

You mentioned getting seals manufactured...

No Gas-Safe installer would risk using alternative parts....in past several have tried, got caught and had the book thrown at them. It's very easy to prosecute licenced installers.

This is a diy website...

The DIY part of the process is obtaining suitable seals. One boiler servicing company has already failed to find the seals so it has become clear to me that I'm not going to get them unless I can find them myself. As I've said I've no intention of doing anything to the boiler myself.

You mentioned using seals from other Glowworms..

You mentioned getting seals manufactured...

Yes, I've asked for advice about alternative seals that might be suitable and the option of getting suitable seals manufactured to the same specification as the originals. Surely asking for advice is the whole point of this forum - I've no other way of determining what is possible and what is allowable. It never even occurred to me that asking these questions would be taken as evidence that I was planning something illegal.

No Gas-Safe installer would risk using alternative parts....in past several have tried, got caught and had the book thrown at them. It's very easy to prosecute licenced installers.

I've no intention of suggesting that a Gas-Safe installer should use any parts they are not supposed to use. I'm trying to determine what parts could be used. That's why I've posted questions on a forum used by people knowledgeable about maintaining gas boilers.

There's a detailed explanation of why such advice is not given and what the forum doesn't allow here.
I read through some of that before posting my question. How naïve of me not to realise that people on here would jump to the conclusion I was planning on doing my own boiler maintenance.

For the record, my question relates only to obtaining the seals. If I can obtain suitable seals then there is at least a chance I can get a suitably qualified person to fit them.

I can see I'm going to have to find more helpful forums to use instead of this one.

Do you think you are the only person in the world that might read the advice given? :rolleyes:
I haven't asked for advice about how to fit the seals. I've only asked for advice about what seals should be suitable for my make of boiler and where I might obtain them (for example, "if you contact this merchant at this address they may be able to supply you with suitable seals for your make of boiler", etc)!

What are you worried is going to happen if somebody else sees the advice on here that I've asked for? Surely casing seals can easily be bought by anyone (e.g. from ebay) - how are you going to stop some unqualified person from fitting seals they shouldn't by refusing to advise me about what seals are right for my specific boiler and where I could get them?

but rules are rules, for a reason.
Yes and the reason seems to be so that unqualified people do not undertake boiler work. But I've explained above that seals for my boiler are obsolete, my maintenance company hasn't been able to find them and so the only option now is for me to try to find them myself before passing them to the engineer to fit. I've absolutely no desire to or intention of trying to fit the seals myself. God, I even asked my (entirely reputable) boiler maintenance company about searching myself and they not only agreed but gave me a helping hand to start me off.

What are you worried is going to happen if somebody else sees the advice on here that I've asked for?
Ask the owners of this site - they make the rules.

how are you going to stop some unqualified person from fitting seals they shouldn't by refusing to advise me about what seals are right for my specific boiler and where I could get them?
No one can. However the owners of this site have deemed that all information about gas must be concealed from public view at all times, hence the part of the forum only accessible by persons who are registered with Gas Safe.

Whether that makes any difference to anything isn't clear, but rules don't have to make sense, you don't have to agree with the rules, but if you want to use this site, then those rules must be complied with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back