Obsolete return pipe for Glow worm boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking for a boiler part that is obsolete :

Return pipe part no S801048 for a Glow worm energy saving combi GC 2 80 47 047 13, model no 801091.

British Gas have said they can’t fix my 80 year old mum’s boiler without it. I’ve discovered the boiler has been dripping for months (floorboards soaked when I lifted the carpet), and BGas didn’t even notice when they came to do the annual service in October. All round unhelpful and taking money off an old lady for several decades without taking appropriate responsibility.

Anyway, rant aside, any help appreciated. I have done the obvious things of searching online, phoning places (including Glow worm). Just hoping someone has one hidden in a stock room somewhere!

Thank you

Mysha

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry to say that is an all too common story with BG. Pretty sure somebody will be along later today or this evening with words of wisdom.

Thank you, I hope so. They have been trying to sell her a new £3000 boiler for the last 3 years.... What I don't understand is how they didn't notice the leak before the additional corrosion it has caused, as well as the water damage and now black mould...

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I have already phoned them. I Googled and then started phoning round.... Most were helpful and even gave me other numbers to try... Some websites have the part listed, but then on further investigation it turns out they have none left, but the fact that listings are still appearing makes me hope I can track one down.

I do know one thing, and that is that if we do get mum a new boiler, we will not be buying it from BGas!

Hello

A further question : before the BGas engineer poked around, the drip was very slight (around a tablespoon of water in 18 hours. Now it is a much faster drip (a mug full in 12 hours). Can leaky pipes like this be sealed/repaired? Is it worth getting an independent engineer in to have a look?

As you can see I know very little about boilers!

Thank you

Does it actually need a new pipe or is it a BG excuse to avoid the repair.

Good question, Terry. I don't know much about boilers (what the heck is a return pipe haha!), but I do DIY so I know leaks can be fixed by sealants in other contexts. That is why I am wondering if I should get someone else out to look at it and advise? Apart from anything else, this is no the time of year to install a new boiler, when mum would not be able to cope without heating.

Pipes rarely leak from the actual pipe. It is normally a failed seal or joint.

I have not seen an Energy Saver for years so cannot visualise what it could be.

Pipes rarely leak from the actual pipe. It is normally a failed seal or joint.

I have not seen an Energy Saver for years so cannot visualise what it could be.

Aren't these a weird layout on the pipes with an extracted tee brazed into the return pipe just inside the casing?

Been years since I've seen one too.

Either way - most of these spares websites list everything as in stock just to get the traffic. If the main merchants don't have one readily available, then none of these places are either.

As @Terrywookfit a pipe rarely fails, so the likelihood of it being available as a spare is up there with the chances of this invoice I am about to issue a builder going paid without a complaint.

A decent installer should get the job done in a day or two unless the boiler location is prohibitive, so get a couple of local guys around to quote.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Thank you both. Does this pic help? You can see where the drip is forming. Dan, are you saying this is fixable without replacing the pipe? It is far clearer in this photo how corroded it is than when I just look at it. I feel even more cross now that it was not picked up earlier.

upload_2018-3-12_18-40-58.jpeg

One very helpful stockist said that Glowworm service agents are given a kit for each boiler, and that's my best bet for finding the part, if one has an unused kit lurking somewhere. So, if you are a Glowworm service agent HELP PLEASE!! :D

That looks to me like the brazing on the tee joint has failed, if you can get the pipe off, it may be repairable by an old school engineer who can braze, but chances are the metal in worn very thin, hence the pinhole, and the only viable repair would be to replace the pipe.

Sadly I suspect, if you cant get one, its new Boiler time. If you need someone to quote, put your location, sometimes one an installer from the Forum is local and will be happy to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back