Before we pay the fella - is this cobblers?

As far as CORGI have been concerned, any RGI can sign off any installation, whether he has carried it out or not, but once he has signed it off ALL legal responsibilities and ramifications then pass onto him as the signing off RGI.

Why anyone would want to take on this responsibility for someone elses shoddy work amazes me :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
gas4u, can you expand a bit on saying CORGI will allow any RGI to sign off a gas job, i appreciate a gas engineer can work on a gas installation and do a CP1/12 and say everything is ok (but this has always been on a best endeavour basis, ie it says on the back of the form that all of the flue may not be checked) if i was pulled for this type of job i'm sure i would argue my point of say passing a tightness test which subsequently failed due to a non soldered joint behind a bath panel, i wouldnt be expected to inspect it as i have to assume all is well with an existing job, but that is vastly different to turning up on the afternoon of a fit by someone i know is not registered and signing off their work and as you say basically lie that i was the installer, i have worked with loads of guys who are not registered but have worked with CORGI guys for years are and very competent, so if they go and do a homer and fit a cooker for someone that it up to them, what i find worse is the CORGI guy who takes a couple of quid to sign it off, they are 10 times worse than the fitter in my opinion

Let me start by just saying- we dont agree with the unregistered installing nor with those that work out of scope,both are illegal(newgas) and certainly wont sign of work by the unregistered.

But commisioning an appliance is done by some people daily and they havent fitted the appliance.(talking firms not soletraders).

Used to work for a company with dozens of RGI's and it was unusaual for 1 installer to do all of the gas work,generally it was shared.
1 guy would then commision, he was expected to fully inspect everything because at the end it was his name going down on the ticket.

remember the days when benchmarks used to say installer details then commisioning details(if different)

I don't really know how to expand further.

I certainly do not agree with or condone any form of unregistered person fitting any gas appliance.

I am also not stating that CORGI categorically allows this to happen as one of their rules.

I have been told by high up CORGI representatives at various meetings, that once the gas installation/appliance gas been signed off by a registered and competent RGI, then they do not really care who actually installed it, as the engineer who has signed it off and notified it has legally taken over all responsibility of the said installation and would therefore be held accountable for anything that happened afterwards.

So basically anyone can sign anything off if they are prepared for the consequences and are stupid enough to :eek:

Sponsored Links
I dont think that what Dave has said properly reflects the official CORGI view.

My understanding is that only the installer can notify CORGI !

Anyone can commission any boiler!

Any installer can REINSTALL a boiler and then he can notify it to CORGI as his own installation.

All boilers must have the following done by the notifying installer as a minimum:-

Mounting bracket fixed to wall.
Flue assembled and fitted.
Gas supply fitted.
Boiler commissioned ( inc Benchmark certificate ).

Tony

I dont think that what Dave has said properly reflects the official CORGI view.

As the ones who told me were amongst the top decision makers in CORGI one would assume they were correct.

If one is stupid enough to register someone elses work then officially who is to know the difference :rolleyes:

Tony- our old secretary used to carry out our notifications.

The job sheets used to come in and as an employee(non technical) she had a pin number for the wesite.

When notifying where does it ask for the installers details, it only asks for the company details.

lcgs, in my last job i used to notify installations to CORGI and definately input individual employee details after company details, otherwise what would be the point? the company was CORGI registered with over 350 employees, of which only 35 were gas engineers and not everyone had the same quals so you must input individuals serial number

Sreial numbers of whom... the only paperwork ever sent into our old
office by the end of a job had designer,specifier,commisioner.

So the only serial number relevant again comes back to daves arguement of the commisioner.

Can i join in i am just a householder and having recently had a new boiler installed i have recieved my certificate regarding building regulation compliance from corgi and all that is stated on there is that a Corgi registerd business carried out the work and the cert no is issued on behalf of the company not any individual.

Legal or illegal install, OP it seems, is looking for an excuse not to pay for the work that has been carried out.

OK, boiler type fitted is wrong, but the plumbing (what can be seen in the pictures) is much tidier than many installs up and down the country. Surely pipework from backboiler to Halstead has to be paid for as there are no BC issues there.

I am of the opinion BOB DOLE should sit on the bench and dish out his BOB DOLE justice to OP as well.

If the guy put the appliance into service himself (which he has) then he has broken the law if he is unregistered.
Full stop.

It doesn't matter if he gets any registered installer to check it or not afterwards.

Try counting the pipes there should be
1, Gas supply 22mm (typical)
2, Central Heating flow 22mm
3, " " return 22mm
3, Cold Supply 15mm
4, Hot outlet 15mm
5, Pressure relief 15mm
and if it's a condensing combi, there should also be a pipe, usually in plastic, about 19mm which runs to either a drain outside, or it can run into an existing waste inside, such as a sink

Try counting the pipes there should be
1, Gas supply 22mm (typical)
2, Central Heating flow 22mm
3, " " return 22mm
3, Cold Supply 15mm
4, Hot outlet 15mm
5, Pressure relief 15mm
and if it's a condensing combi, there should also be a pipe, usually in plastic, about 19mm which runs to either a drain outside, or it can run into an existing waste inside, such as a sink

sparkiedave if u have read all the posts u should no that the problem has been sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back