Before we pay the fella - is this cobblers?

What documentation from Halstead did he give you?
Call H witht he serial number and they'll tell you when it was made - it isn't current I'm pretty sure.

There are some circumstances where a noncondensing boiler can be fitted, but usually only in flats. there's a score chart I'll look for.

If he's fitted a secondhand boiler , or an "old" new one illegally, you've got him by the nuts.

edit - the long answer...
http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf

Sponsored Links
What documentation from Halstead did he give you?
Call H witht he serial number and they'll tell you when it was made - it isn't current I'm pretty sure.

There are some circumstances where a noncondensing boiler can be fitted, but usually only in flats. there's a score chart I'll look for.

If he's fitted a secondhand boiler , or an "old" new one illegally, you've got him by the nuts.

edit - the long answer...
http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thanks ChrisR. He just left the installation guide, instructions etc. So yes, looks very dodgy. Boiler looks new, was in a sealed box etc, but I checked the Halstead website and that model isn't in their 2008 price list. We're in a pretty bog standard 3 bed semi, so I can't believe there are circumstances which would meet that exceptions guide. Oh well, looks like we got a free boiler anyway, cos I'm bugger ed if I'm going to pay him!

I think before you just "don't pay him" you should phone him and ask him about it.

If it's a non condensing boiler and you specifically asked for one, then that's his mistake, he should take that boiler off the wall, and stick a condensing one on, and then you still pay your £1800 as that's what he quoted you.

That's what I would do anyway.

Sponsored Links
Definitely asked for a condensing boiler - had a long discussion with him about how they worked, how much they might save us in gas bills, etc.

Didn't check his CORGI credentials beforehand (I know, I know... really stupid, we just relied on a neighbours recommend), so I have a bad feeling. Will ring a CORGI in the morning and get a second opinion before I ask this fella back, I think.

But surely if the regs say we should have a condensing boiler - and there doesn't seem to be any reason why we would be exempt, then the plumber must know about that, surely? Sounds to me like he's just trying to offload an old, cheapy, non-conforming boiler on us.

I don't know how the law stands, but if it turns out he's fitted something not to spec, without our say so, then he can come and take his boiler out and there's no way I'm paying him.

for goodness sake calm down..

what does it say in the paperwork he left you.. what make and madel boiler is it
did he complete and leave with you the benchmark document for the boiler

they will tell you exactly what he fitted..

as for not paying anything at all you should calm down, confirm what has been fitted and why..all questions for the installer.

you can quickly chaek if he's registerd on the CORGI website .. ( in a lot less time than you've spent on here tonight)

The boiler you've got is an Ace High if your posting instructions picture is correct.

I fitted one in my house when I moved in 6 years ago, great boilers, haven't so much as glanced at it apart from checking the pressure guage now and again in all that time, maybe I'll get round to servicing it one day.

Unfortunately it's not a condensing boiler which of course your plumber was obliged to fit by the Global warming nutters running our country.

I've also fitted a number of the newer Halstead Ace HE condensing combi's, again not a squeak out of any of them in a couple of years.

I'd check the guys Corgi credentials and either get him to fit a replacement Halstead condenser if he's registered, or if he's not stop the cheque and get a registered installer to make the change and let the other guy pick up his now second hand Ace High.

I'd check the guys Corgi credentials and either get him to fit a replacement Halstead condenser if he's registered, or if he's not stop the cheque and get a registered installer to make the change and let the other guy pick up his now second hand Ace High.

This. Thanks. Have checked, he's not on the CORGI, so I think I'll do exactly as you say there.

I'd have a word with the guy first before going off the deep end.

Those hopeless incompetents at Corgi have told potential clients of mine that I wasn't registered on 2 occasions in the past.

So a word of explanation off the plumber might be the next logical step.

Assuming it IS a non condenser, he has broken the Building Regs, which is breaking the law. The fines for doing that are heavy, PER DAY of the continuation of the offence.

Assuming it IS a non condenser, he has broken the Building Regs, which is breaking the law. The fines for doing that are heavy, PER DAY of the continuation of the offence.

how does that work then.

as i was told when i obtained my 'energy conservation' ticket.

if the customer does not want to pay the extra that may be involved for the boiler or the extra involved in condensate disposal then just get it in writing & then everything is hunky dory.

Is there any way that you can post a picture taken looking up at the bottom of the boiler to show the pipework as that we can see its condensing?

Tony

Here we go again i,ll get mi rope out again lets have a hangin this guy needs to be brought to justice.
These are the cowboys Corgi prosecute and the likes of this cowboy is stealing work off a real rgi throw the book at him before he kills someone, ring corgi up and report this scum bag.

Does the jury find him...................... GUILTY
OR............................................NOT GUILTY

Sounds like you dont want to pay the guy.

Did you not check the installation when it was in progress?

Did you not pick up the instructions and have a read at them ?

I fitted a non condensing boiler at one of my flats 6 months ago,the police havent been round yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back