Being a bit thick about boarding the loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry for being a bit thick on this issue, but I don't want to risk breaking my house. In my loft there is currently fibreglass insulation between the 4-inch joists and just felt under the roof tiles. I plan to board out the loft floor, which will inevitably squash the insulation, reducing its effectiveness. In an effort to reclaim some of the lost heat I plan to lay a carpet on top of the boards. Now to my problem ...

In order to make the loft look less like a "dirty, dark, black hole fit only for spiders" (in the words of my beloved wife) I'd thought to attach plasterboard or plywood (or something) inside the loft, from the apex, down towards the eaves, stopping about 6 feet from the eaves. At this 6 feet mark I plan to attach plasterboard vertically to create something which resembles a wall. I will also lay plasterboard on the two gable walls. The result will be a space in which all you can see is plasterboard (and a load of junk, which never seems to get to the charity shop or the skip).

a) So, if I do this, am I breaking any thermal rules which are going to cause condensation/damp/moisture/water problems?

b) To reclaim further heat, could I line the felt-facing side of the upper plasterboards with something e.g. that silvery bubbly stuff, or is that going to increase/create moisture troubles?

Sorry for the length of the post and thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
you can do what you like, though it may create problems should you wish to sell. a surveyor may interpret the space as a botched loft conversion, thus reducing value.

a loft is a loft, and is deemed fit for its purpose. they are not meant as a space to be visited on a daily basis.

adding a carpet to squashed insulation will not compensate for the required 270mm thickness.

Read previous loft posts about counterbatten on the joists, this will make the floor slightly stronger and give more depth for insulation.

Top tip: Stop off at the charity shop on your way to B&Q! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back