Flooring a Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have recently bought a house built in 2003. It has a decent loft space and in the center its around 6 1/2 feet high.

Currently there are 2 massive 2.5m (i think) boards in the loft that were obviously left when the house was built.

I am planning to lay some flooring down in the center area of the loft to store some suitcases, clothes and some baby stuff.

Currently the battons which carry the plasterboard ceiling run from the front to the back of the house. The current large boards run at a 90 degree to this side to side.

My question is if I wanted to lay some proper boards like the ones from b&q would I be best to run new supports at 90 degrees to the battons that currently support the plasterboard OR am I better to run the supports in the same direction as the existing and secure them to the base of the V uprights.

Alternatively is using something like the loft legs better and easier for this job?

Please forgive me if this makes no sense.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Research on here - this is probably the most asked question on this forum.

Thanks for the reply Ree,

I have done some reading up on here and also on the web any its pretty confusing as each house and situation is different.

I have drawn a quick sketch of what I plan to do. Planning on some 36x100x2000 horizontal supports running between the trusses, then brace them up the middle.

Attachments

• loft.jpg
    loft.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
The trusses were designed for what you have in the way of spans and loads - any extra loads could risk the chords (ceiling joists) sagging.
Typically, light loads will carry but traffic and heavier loads will cause difficulties.

The truss difficulties are often overcome by using new framing "joists" from bearing wall to bearing wall but keeping just above the ceiling - as in a loft conversion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back