Beirut, huge explosion video

As an irresponsible kid. I used to make "Thunder flashes" (They're not real ones as those use potassium perchlorate) out of Ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder. Even that small amount made an impressive explosion. So nearly 3 tonnes is gonna be one heĺl of a blast, with inevitable fatalities :(

Sponsored Links
As an irresponsible kid. I used to make "Thunder flashes" (They're not real ones as those use potassium perchlorate) out of Ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder. Even that small amount made an impressive explosion. So nearly 3 tonnes is gonna be one heĺl of a blast, with inevitable fatalities :(
Have you grown up now? ;)

Sponsored Links
To put that in perspective, the bomb at Hiroshima was 13-18 kt. I don't know how efficient an explosive this stuff was but 3kt is a significant fraction of the size. :(

To put that in perspective, the bomb at Hiroshima was 13-18 kt. I don't know how efficient an explosive this stuff was but 3kt is a significant fraction of the size. :(
we would need to know how much ammonia nitrate would be the equivalent of 1 ton TNT, I can't find that out but would be interesting to know

this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent would suggest Ammonia Nitrate is 42% the strength of TNT, therefor 2750 tons would be equivalent to 1,115 tons of TNT so the Beirut bomb was may be a 14th the size of the Hiroshima bomb

But yesterdays explosion would only have been about 100th of something like Trident could deliver.

Just watching the news this morning. What terrible terrible destruction, my heart goes out to them. They were having difficulties before this with hyperinflation, rapidly rising poverty and Coronavirus. I honestly don’t know how I would cope if I lived there. Anyway, we’ve made our donation via the British Red Cross - every little bit helps.

Last edited:
Just watching the news this morning. What terrible terrible destruction, my heart goes out to them. They were having difficulties before this with hyperinflation, rapidly rising poverty and Coronavirus. I honestly don’t know how I would cope if I lived there. Anyway, we’ve made our donation via the British Red Cross - every little bit helps.
na that’s tesco

it is rather shocking seeing the destruction and my heart goes out to them too. It must be a very strange existence living your life somewhere like Beirut, one of my early childhood memories was watching the devastation in Beirut on the evening news, even as a young teenager I used to think what a frightening place that must be (made sunderland seem civilised). People there must have lived a lifetime of destruction and carnage.

Beirut is seen as a lawless war-torn city with little regard to regulations...

Of course it couldn't happen here, could it?

Beirut explosion: Planners feared risk at Shoreham, Sussex

"PLANNERS feared a Beirut-style blast at a Sussex port where the same fertiliser was stored, documents show.

Shoreham Port Authority had applied to keep ammonium nitrate in a storage shed on site.

And the authorities here in Sussex raised their concerns in 2006 and 2010 about the hazards of storing the chemical at Shoreham.

In 2006 the Port Authority was granted planning permission to handle up to 2,800 tonnes of the chemical."

Btw, the UK is the heaviest user of ammonium and ammonium nitrate-based fertilisers in the world!

Sponsored Links
Back